First Family Tank

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To quote G.W. “Our mission continues. We have difficult work to do in aquaria...”!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok so after getting that Nitrate testing issue resolved it looks super close to done. 1ppm ammonia is now being converted to Nitrates in a 24 hour period. Plan now is to dose ammonia daily till Friday change bout all the water. Then get a half dozen guppies and a half dozen panda Cory’s. I’ll update this weekend super excited

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Congrats on the cycle finishing up!

To be on the safe side, I’d add either the 5-6 guppies or cories first. Not both groups at once. If your parameters hold for at least a week or so, you could then add the next group.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@el337 Thanks so much for your contributions! I assume the corys would have the larger bioload and thus be the better choice for first group added. Would that be a fair assumption?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would actually say the guppies have the larger bioload. I'd start with the cories first OR 3 guppies. Are you getting all male guppies?

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would’ve thought corys would be bigger ergo more eating and pooping than guppies. As far as bioload I again would assume adding 1ppm ammonia would mean introducing the larger bioload first. Yes ma’am planning on all male guppies. Learning to take care of fish is going to be testing my patience as it is let alone fry lol!!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In a newly cycled tank, you always want to play it safe and stock with a low bioload and stock slowly.

Yeah, fry for a later time... which will most likely mean more tanks!

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats on the cycle completion!! :;bananad2 Excited to see pics of the tank with fish!

I wasn't getting alerts on this thread for some reason!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In a newly cycled tank, you always want to play it safe and stock with a low bioload and stock slowly.

Yeah, fry for a later time... which will most likely mean more tanks!
My wife is getting a 10gallon for Christmas to house a few ADFs lol so; another thread for another day!!!

@NightShade ill drop a couple pics sometime this weekend when we will get a few guppies in and settled . A lot of excitement in the household this weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lost three of the guppies within 24 hrs. Tested water parameters and they looked spotless. So big box store happily gave me another 3. Within another 24 those three went to the gigantic aquarium in the sky. Chalking that up to a bad batch. Used the credit on that to get three peppered corys. Ending day five with two original guppies and three corys. Slight trace of nitrites today (a very minute trace of purple using api) no ammonia and Nitrates looking about 20. I’m planning on a 10% wc tomorrow to resolve that. Also due to what looks like over feeding due to inexperienced keeping!!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry for your loss. Guppies are usually pretty hardy. How did you acclimate? If you're going to do a water change, I'd do at least a 30-40%. 10% doesn't do much. Make sure to dose Prime to take care of those nitrites as long as you keep seeing them.

And I'd be careful of stocking too many too soon. If any more of your fish die, just wait out a couple of weeks before adding more fish. You want your tank to stabilize before risking more deaths.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rodger that on the wc. Acclimation Wise was same for all. Float bag for 15-20 mins, poured a cup full of tank water in wait 10-20 mins more then drain release. That’s what has been confounding is the two original guppies are thriving.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Some might be more tolerable than others. I would acclimate longer. I usually add half a cup of tank water every 15 min up to 2 hours.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s been funny to watch the tuxedo flare up and do his mating dance at the other who in turn charges him then they swim off together to find other stuff to do. Very good entertainment if you ask me

Some might be more tolerable than others. I would acclimate longer. I usually add half a cup of tank water every 15 min up to 2 hours.
That makes sense; I envy your patience!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom