First Family Tank

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So back from vacation and it was fantastic. Aside from bringing home a cold. Lol while at the aquarium don’t touch everything the kiddies are. Saw a pair of discus with fry in a tank. I will have them one day . Anyways ammonia disappeared from our tank while gone. No sign of nitrite or nitrates. Just dosed it up to about 1p ammonia so we are keeping fingers crossed we didn’t miss a big turning point.

@NightShade how far from Statesville are ya?

Last edited by a moderator:

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@NightShade how far from Statesville are ya?
Lol.... Salisbury

Haha, almost the next town over... Cleveland is in between us. Perfect!

Lol... we actually just moved from out there in Cleveland back to Salisbury a little over a year ago!! That's funny! Serendipitous

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lol Awsome we are about 40 miles west of Statesville so that would be a great in between.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well some good news after dosing 1ppm ammonia on Sunday looks to be about .25-.5 today. Also looks to be about .5-.75 ppm nitrites it finally appears as though something is happening and that makes my day. Time for a final draft stocking plan!!

Now I’m wondering do I try to keep it at 1-2ppm ammonia till nitrates show up or just let it drop to zero ammonia before dosing it again?

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was gonna say we could meet up after thanksgiving (the weekend?) if you still want?

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Keep your ammonia at 1-2 ppm until nitrates shows up. Even after you have nitrate, keep dosing ammonia until your nitrite starts dropping fast.

When you've concluded your cycle is complete, do some big water changes to bring your nitrate under 10 ppm before adding any fish. Big water changes are way easier without fish....

A couple other things after you get fish:
1. Always make sure to dechlorinate your water.
2. When you are doing your partial water changes, make sure to stick the vacuum into the gravel to suck up all the gunk.

And good job of reading about the cycling process and doing a fish-less cycle! It saved the life of a bunch of fish! I wish I had done that when I got into keeping fish.

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sure thing!! Lol... thanksgiving is a little crazy. Starting to cut corn off the cobb for some creamed corn tonight (for thanksgiving supper at the future in-laws), & then helping my aunt make thanksgiving dinner tomorrow ("dinner" is lunch, and "supper" is dinner, for all you non-southern folks lol)

I'm sure it's crazy for y'all too!!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sure thing!! Lol... thanksgiving is a little crazy. Starting to cut corn off the cobb for some creamed corn tonight (for thanksgiving supper at the future in-laws), & then helping my aunt make thanksgiving dinner tomorrow ("dinner" is lunch, and "supper" is dinner, for all you non-southern folks lol)

I'm sure it's crazy for y'all too!!
Yea two families two dinners one day lol

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't forget to share that creamed corn over on the cooking thread @NightShade . This thread was a joy to read. I too am so glad to be part of the wonderful community I have found here. I may be a city girl, but I know perfectly well that lunch is dinner and dinner is supper, lol. Family in GA, and I lived near Asheville, NC for about 5 years.

Good luck with the cycle @SaltyPhone , sounds like you'll have it done soon enough.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well nitrites are now through the roof. I tried 50% tank water and 50% tap still of the api test kit chart. At roughly 25/75 nitrites look to be about 2ppm. So would a 50% wc be advisable at this point?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I would definitely do a water change. I have no experience with this but I have found some sound information telling me that nitrites over 4ppm will stall a cycle. Therefore, when I am cycling a tank, I only do enough water changes to keep the nitrites in the readable test range.

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I would definitely do a water change. I have no experience with this but I have found some sound information telling me that nitrites over 4ppm will stall a cycle. Therefore, when I am cycling a tank, I only do enough water changes to keep the nitrites in the readable test range.
Yes, I've heard the same about nitrites stalling cycles. Definitely do a water change!! May have to do a second w/c depending on the reading after the 50% w/c... just wait a bit to test after the w/c though.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pwc done 11/24 about 7 gallons so roughly 35%. Water parameters tested about an hour later. Ammonia zero Nitrites ~4ppm Nitrates ~20ppm. Dosed ammonia to ~2ppm. Today Ammonia zeroed out and nitrites look bout the same as do Nitrates

Last edited:

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would continue doing diluted testing for nitrites, particularly if you're using an API test kit. It is nearly impossible to be sure of nitrites at 4ppm as they could easily be higher than that, but that's as high as the test is readable. For me, I do a dilution test any time nitrites are over 2ppm, just to be sure. It's not really possible to dose more ammonia and not have a rise in nitrites or nitrates. Sorry to say it, but dilution tests are your friend these days. Nitrates can be hard to read too! Are they 10 or 20... or maybe 40 or 80... the colors on the API cards are the same. :meh: It frustrates me sometimes.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update: Today was real surprising all parameters across the board were zero!? With the exception of ph which has dropped to about 6.5 looks like. Nitrites yesterday looks to be ~2ppm and Nitrates about ~30ppm. I can understand nitrite dropping but Nitrates with no water change? Very bizarre with my limited knowledge on the subject. Anyways I dosed ammonia up to 1ppm. Why do I listen to fish forum advice? I could have bought some fish out of the gate killed em and sold off my equipment by now!!!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know it's frustrating... I've been there, as have most of us. Thanks for the laugh on that one though.

OK, so more advice??? It's most likely that the 0 on nitrates is from human testing error.... sorry! Did you shake the heck out of that #2 bottle? Did you beat it like it kicked your dog? Seriously! Shake it and beat it against something like a counter. An ingredient in the reagent can crystallize inside the bottle and skew your reading big time. Make sure you shake and beat the bottle for 30+ seconds, then test and agitate the test tube for at least 60 seconds. You can be a little gentler with the test tube.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Haha I’ll try that now since my wife is at work and won’t beat me for “spending more time with that aquarium than you do me!”. Seriously though she has had to punch me a couple times to keep me from starting at it all night.

@stella1979 ok Nitrates are ~80ppm looking close to 160. Will test ammonia in the am. I see a light sure hope it’s not A train!!

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol... y'all are cracking me up! :hilarious:

SaltyPhone, I hope it's not a train! Lol!!

Haha I’ll try that now since my wife is at work and won’t beat me for “spending more time with that aquarium than you do me!”. Seriously though she has had to punch me a couple times to keep me from starting at it all night.
I get the same response from my boyfriend!! ****! And "turn off that aquarium light, stop looking at it I'm trying to sleep!" Or the more passive response.. "don't fish have to sleep too?" Lol :hilarious:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom