First Family Tank

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks so much El it’s a pleasure to have a sounding board and is much appreciated. This is the game plan for the moment 1. Test water a few times (since my wife is hounding me for testing every hour lol... I don’t really). throw some fish food in to keep a trace of ammonia in there before vacation. 2. Have a great vacation. 3. Come back to a fully cycled tank. 4. Be realistic do 100% wc and start over. This time I’ll trash the filter cartridge and try other media. Speaking of which I dunno if it was the TSS or what: but now the cartridge seems gunked up and water is flowing through the bypass. 5. Give Dr Tim’s One and Only a shot.
If you decide to add fish food, I’d only drop in a really tiny pinch. You have plenty of ammonia in there but let’s just see where you’re at a couple days before you leave before taking any action.

Rinse the media in some tank water or in dechlorinated water if it’s clogged. Even if you switch out the cartridge at a later date, leave it in for around a month with the new media before removing it completely. Removing it too soon before the new media has a chance to get seeded will result in a re-cycling your tank.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
11/6/17
No change in water parameters so we may take you up on the offer Night; which is very generous. Will institute the action plan once we have vacation done and over with... lol never thought those words would pass my lips! As always the suggestions and input are appreciated!

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
11/6/17
No change in water parameters so we may take you up on the offer Night; which is very generous. Will institute the action plan once we have vacation done and over with... lol never thought those words would pass my lips! As always the suggestions and input are appreciated!
Know the feeling!! Which is why I'd be MORE than happy to!! Just PM me, or "tag" me on the thread when you get back!! (Just in case I miss the thread alert) Gotta have dem fishies fur dem chil'ns

Had to edit for spelling

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
11/6/17
Getting seeded media from NightShade would be a great shortcut. You'd just need to add fish within a couple of hours of adding the media.

By the way, did you get a new heater? If so, what's the temp now? pH still at 7.5?

New Fish in Town

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to fishlore! Nice to have a neighbor on here (I'm in NC too)

I would do a water change as suggested above... bring ammonia down to 1ppm (4 & above often stalls cycles). What's your PH? I have soft water, & couldn't cycle my Betta tanks years ago, because of low PH, until I corrected the issue.
Sweet! We have another NC person on here! Welcome!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Getting seeded media from NightShade would be a great shortcut. You'd just need to add fish within a couple of hours of adding the media.

By the way, did you get a new heater? If so, what's the temp now? pH still at 7.5?
Yes ma’am got the new heater and in tank thermometer. Temps reading 82ish. Not a single change in water parameters I have a friend with a pool I may see about testing for chlorine just to rule out the possibility of that being introduced via the rinsed Test vials. I probably should get my hair cut again so I’m not tempted to pull it out!! Found a great idea on you tube to optimize my filter which I’m gonna try too.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I rarely recommend those weekly feeder blocks because they just melt and polute your water but this might be a case were it would be benificial.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think you need to give it some time. 3 weeks into a cycle isn't really unheard of and you only just added TSS+.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I rarely recommend those weekly feeder blocks because they just melt and polute your water but this might be a case were it would be benificial.
I have no clue what a feeder block is.
I think you need to give it some time. 3 weeks into a cycle isn't really unheard of and you only just added TSS+.
. I’ll direct you to my “status quote” lol.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
LOL, point taken. Unfortunately, patience is everything in this hobby!

Feeder blocks are food that you leave in the tank for your fish when you go away on vacation. I would personally avoid them as they will quickly foul your water and cause high levels of ammonia.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the grounding El. You, Night and, everyone else’s advice and encouragement through this all is very much appreciated by us all.

Thanks for the grounding El. You, Night and, everyone else’s advice and encouragement through this all is very much appreciated by us all.
I’m very happy with my decision to join this community!!

Last edited by a moderator:

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Feeder blocks are food that you leave in the tank for your fish when you go away on vacation. I would personally avoid them as they will quickly foul your water and cause high levels of ammonia.
Isn't adding ammonia while they are on vacation what they are trying to do? I would never recommend them for there designed purpose.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Isn't adding ammonia while they are on vacation what they are trying to do? I would never recommend them for there designed purpose.
But without anyone there to monitor the levels, ammonia levels will quickly rise and possibly stall the cycle. It's just better to start again after the OP returns especially if they will be able to get their hands on seeded media.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But without anyone there to monitor the levels, ammonia levels will quickly rise and possibly stall the cycle. It's just better to start again after the OP returns especially if they will be able to get their hands on seeded media.
Didn't really think about it getting too high. Guess that's why I don't like them. Lol

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m very happy with my decision to join this community!!
We are very glad you joined too!! I'm glad I did myself. Great community for sure! Just watch out for those threads/comments that make you (literally) laugh out loud... they can make u look crazy when other ppl are around haha

Actually, surprisingly there IS a use for them... Feeding snails their much needed calcium. Lol... never thought I'd ever use them, but the Plaster of Paris in them (I guess it's to bind all the other ingredients together), provides minerals to keep their shells strong and healthy... some brands are definitely better than others, but with my soft tap water, I'll take what I can get! lol (I do raise my GH, & also feed other calcium rich foods too)....

(I've learned this info from a snail forum, btw... and my snails actually flock to it lol!)

Edit: btw, @SaltyPhone, if you want Mystery snails or blue ramshorn snails... I can share those with you too! lol... I've got them by the tons

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ooh... ok, I just realized a slight problem... members can only private message after having 50 posts... not sure how to contact @SaltyPhone (privately) to meet up (& give a location) when he gets back.. I somewhat don't mind posting (online) the city I live in... I just wanted to let you know in case you do... I do, but don't... only because I think I can edit a post to erase personal details (like location).. was gonna PM you to ask when I should expect to meet up.. and realized this. Let me know your thoughts. I am happy to try to help/work with you.

I say all this because depending on where you are, mailing could also be an option - like if we are a good distance from each other. (I wouldn't want to put my address on a forum - love everyone on fishlore.. but it's the internet. So, I wouldn't ask ANYONE else to do the same!! Lol)

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom