First Encounter With Ich

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fishkeeperK, Apr 10, 2018.

1. f

fishkeeperK New Member Member

I believe I caught the ich early on my black and albino skirt tetras. I have a new 40 gallon breeder that I just started. It is highly planted and I am slowly raising CO2.

I realized after using flourish and lights on too long while I was at work that I got a ton of algae. Many types and now I have noticed ich on my fish.

stocking
    8 tetras
    8 ottocats for the algae

I have reduced my lighting and my algae is being reduced.
    My nitrites and ammoia are 0ppm do have a lot of nitrates though. I assume from the nitrogen cycle.

I don't want to use salt because of the ottos so I am trying the heat method. Gonna slowly bring up the tank to around 84ish

I don't wanna screw up my beneficial bacteria with medication and I have marineland carbon cartridge filters
    Any other suggestions?

2. Onlyashes

Onlyashes Valued Member Member

Good idea to stay away from treatments they killed my bacteria then I tried the heat method and it worked great I kept it at like 85 or 86 I know it has to at least be like 85 or 86 that it can't reproduce and live in

3. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Heat takes too long. I don't believe most ich meds are detrimental to cycles. I've used Kordon Rapid-Cure personally with my oto with no issues. Treatment lasted less than a week.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I use heat treatment.

You will need to do daily gravel vacs to suck up any spores.

The heat treatment doesn’t kill the ich, but it just speed up its life cycle to a point where you can suck it up.

5. OP
    OP
    f

fishkeeperK New Member Member

what if i can't suck all of it out because a lot of areas of my aquarium are covered in plants or rocks or driftwood

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice