First Discus Have Arrived!

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Discus People!

My first time with Discus, VERY exited, got my discus in from The Discus **** himself, Hans just about an hour ago.

I will start some sort of log but for now just a crappy low light pic of them

Checkerboard Discus 3"
Leopard SnakeSkin 3"
Red Scribbelt Discus Fish 3+ Inch
Marlboro Red Discus Fish 3+ Inch
Brillant Turquoise Discus Fish 3+ inch
Cobalt Discus Fish 3+ Inch

@Discusluv , @Disc61 , thank you for your help and advice thusfar!

discus3.jpg

Last edited:

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can see the reflection in the glass of your Mubuna's checking them out! They look like their acclimating well...

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you everyone! I lost some sleep over the last few days but IT WAS WORTH IT!

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They ended up flipping out on me once (I had the lights on very dim) so I ended up blacking out the room after I was done doing water changes on the other tanks - I am so excited to see how they look in the morning! Raised the temp from 83 to 85 as well, sounds like I should be targeting 86, will shoot for that later, didnt want to overshoot it overnight when I cant keep an eye on it

Also not sure if I just got lucky or if 3" is bigger than I thought, these guys seem HUGE already! Nice and fat too

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are always a bit jumpy at first- pretty soon they will be coming to the front of the tank to greet you

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update

Sure wish my tap water was better...grrr...

Left three are the Discus tank
Middle Nitrate test is from the Mbuna tank (60% change yesterday)
Right is NITRATE AT THE TAP - GRRRR

The Discus are not eating, will try again later today!

tests.jpg

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have you ever tey purigen?
I run purigen in all my tanks, except this one lol. I figured with daily WCs it wouldnt really help much... am I incorrect?

I have 80ppm nitrates in my tap. I use seachem matrix and live plants and most of my tanks have about 20ppm nitrate.
In my Mbuna tank I use a HOB fry box with a VERY slow pump and seachem DeNitrate, that is planted (lol) with bamboo and pothos, that seems to help a lot, readings on that tank at the end of the week before a WC are about 20-40 lower than they were before. Still working on it though...I think I need to feed them less....

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The purigen may help with nitrates. Chemi pure is another good one, although with daily water changes i would stress to much about it.
Thanks, thats kinda what I figured, the tank will probably hang out right around where the tap is at with my (planned) WC schedule, a 55gal tank and going to swap out 30gal a day (because thats how big my aging barrel is haha)

Finally nibbling on some food, still to nervous I think, they are a little less bright today, but that will be fine once they settle in.
Cleaned up after them and did a 50% WC and leaving them alone for a bit

discus5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finally nibbling on some food, still to nervous I think, they are a little less bright today, but that will be fine once they settle in.
Cleaned up after them and did a 50% WC and leaving them alone for a bit

View attachment 306881
Your background is awesome!! I didnt notice it at first- it is an adaption of Van Gogh's Starry Night! How creative...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom