First dead fish, need help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by k8XP, Jan 6, 2013.

1. k8XPValued MemberMember

Just woke up to one fish floating, obviously dead, at the top of the tank. He is in a ziploc bag in the water change bucket now.

Only this fish suddenly stopped eating 2 days ago. He started trying to sleep, stayed mostly in one spot, and his fins were still moving normally (wasn't struggling against current). No spots, no clamped fins, no sores, no gasping for oxygen, and his color was normal. Out of 5 fish, he/she was like the second to alpha...? lol and seemed fine. I figured if any would die, it would be the runt... So confused. They are all still fairly young.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm worried about the other 4, even though they are acting normal cause this one was perfectly fine 2 days ago! : ( Any ideas?

As of 5 minutes ago, AM= 0 Nitrite= 0 NitrAte= EDIT: nitrate is ten. I just did a water change on Friday night.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Samurai Jack 77Valued MemberMember

How long has the fish been in the tank?

3. k8XPValued MemberMember

I added all 5 at the end of November, about the 20th.

4. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

uh... what kind of fish? what else is in the tank? How big is the tank? Filter? Cycled? We need more info.

5. soarlValued MemberMember

6. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Could have easily changed :p. I don't go based off the AQ info unless it is verified by the OP. A lot of us don't update it like we should.

7. k8XPValued MemberMember

My sig is correct. Now 4 green tiger barbs in a 20 (tall)with Aquaclear 50 filter, and a quietflow 10 for when I need to quarantine.

It was fully fishless cycled for about a month, and stabilized 2 weeks before I added any fish. The 4 tiger barbs are all inhabitants. Besides one lonely little pond snail. But I don't think that one really harms the barbs ; ) more like they mistake it for food and attack lol.

8. k8XPValued MemberMember

Now there is a second concern. 5 was already a small school cause I didn't want to overcrowd a 20 while waiting on a bigger tank, now with 4 I'm afraid aggression will start. There wasn't much fighting with 5.

I don't know what to do. I'll get 2 more if this wasn't caused by an illness, but they will have to be in QT for a little while.

9. soarlValued MemberMember

No doubt about that! I know I forget to update mine!

10. k8XPValued MemberMember

Should I do a big water change

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Never a bad idea.

12. k8XPValued MemberMember

Just remembered something important.

A little while ago I posted a thread about white excretions. I started using Thera A garlic pellet food. I still never see any fish poop at all, so not sure if I should dose something for parasites anyway or not.

I had not, and still don't, see any red worms.

13. MsheresyValued MemberMember

White-ish stringy poop + not eating usually equals internal parasites.

14. k8XPValued MemberMember

This is terrible, I thought they were doing well. Well, I don't want all of my barbs to be wiped out! What do I need to buy to try and save them?

15. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

PraziPro. It works well on internal parasites. Any chance we can get pics of your fish? Or even the dead one? I could tell you pretty quickly if you have a bad case of parasites, it can be rather obvious some times.

16. k8XPValued MemberMember

OH MY GOD. GOING TO VOMIT.

Turned on the tank light and saw a little white worm in front of my face. It was mid tank height but slithered under a plant pretty quickly, I couldn't net it out, too disgusted. Have never seen a WORM in there!

Ew. I want it out, now. Make my boyfriend do the water change, not putting my hands in there now! : O

17. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Strange.

18. k8XPValued MemberMember

The bright picture with all 5 is from just last week. Taken with ipod, sorry bad quality.
    002 - Copy.jpgphoto (1).JPG

19. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

None of them appear to have intestinal parasites but they still could. Normally a fish with parasites will have a concave(flat) belly. How big would you say the worm was?

20. k8XPValued MemberMember

It was really small, but still nasty.

Not great at estimations... I don't think it could live in a fish cause too long, but it was super thin and stringy looking, centimeter or two. It moved like a snake if that makes a difference in any way.

I can turn on the tank light again to see if it comes out and get a video maybe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice