First Corydoras Fry This Morning

Tinytail

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just have to post because I’m so shocked at how small my corydoras aeneus fry are!!! I’ve had guppy fry coming out of my ears since this summer and I thought they were small.... This is my first intentional egg yield basically. I usually can’t get to the eggs before the other fish eat them so I was excited to save a dozen in a breeder box the other day. I’ve been feeling pretty confident about fry with all my live bearers. I even had some white cloud fry in my water garden this summer (sadly lost most to nymphs). I also had some betta fry this summer but I didn’t even notice they were there for like a week. I just though the parents didn’t breed so I took the female out but lo and behold after a week, fry! So yeah, this is my first properly prepared (well kinda....) venture into egg born fish and I feel totally out of my element. They’re practically microorganisms!!! How will I feed them? Will they tolerate any water changes?? Y’all don’t need to answer, I’m mostly just shocked at these tiny fry lol. I have Sera fry food and I’ve put some poly-filter in their box. Hopefully I’ll get a few aeneus corys out of it. I also have dwarf and pygmy corys. I can’t even imagine their fry!!!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Congratulations!!!! Yes, they are almost microscopic when first hatched but thankfully they grow fast. Keep their water as clean as you possibly can and feed often once eggs sacks are absorbed. The first food I feed mine is a mixture of all the various foods I feed my fish ground into a fine powder with a bit of blue green algae powder mixed in. After a few days I start feeding microworms. Very carefully siphon any left over food out before adding more. The cleaner you keep the water the better it will be for them.

When you siphon, siphon into a white container so you can see fry you have siphoned up. :)

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations! I have 6 False Juli, but I have no clue how to tell their sex apart or how to breed them. So far I have bred CPD's and Bladder snails. Rummynose, I bred unsuccessfully (eggs get eaten by the other fish quickly and those I isolated I accidentally siphoned while changing the water in the CPD fry tank.)

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, it's insane how tiny they are when they hatch. It's like if human babies were the size of our thumb at birth.

Mine seemed to prefer my adult cory food ground into a powder rather than the powdered fry food, so that's mainly what I fed mine. But if you can get your hands on live food like microworms or baby brine shrimp, they'll love those. I'd give mine frozen bloodworms when they got big enough, it was pretty funny watching them slowly suck the bloodworms down like giant spaghetti.

Like Mattgirl said, you have to keep their area impeccably clean. A pipette or medicine dropper works great to carefully get bits of food out after feeding time. I used a piece of airline tubing to do water changes, and then retrieved the fry from the bucket where some would inevitably end up. I think it was like a roller coaster to them!

New Threads