First Cichlid Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mtorts, Apr 21, 2017.

1. mtortsNew MemberMember

My first cichlid tank is ready to rock what do you guys think. I wanted it to look like a salt water tank I'm just a bit worried that there's to much coral and taking space away from the future fish. Let me know your imput. Thanks. Oh and I still have to put the doors on the stand I just painted it.

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

what kind of cichlids? Pretty tank!

3. OP
    OP
    m

mtortsNew MemberMember

Most likely mbunas would love to mix in some peacocks to if possible seems like many people mix the 2 as long as the peacocks are bigger.

4. KimberlyG

Your not taking up too much room with the coral. They will actually like it. Lots of little nooks and hiding places. Just out of curiosity, what is your pH running now with all that coral in there?

5. OP
    OP
    m

mtortsNew MemberMember

Funny you ask I was going to make a post in another thread about my ph. I made a mistake and cleaned the tank with a vinager/water solution and I think I forgot to wash it out I just wiped it down. Now as of yesterday my ph was low at around 6.0. Hopefully this is temporary and goes up soon with all the coral. If not I heard baking soda can be used to increase it ??

6. KimberlyG

Baking soda is temporary, you don't want to play around with buffers because they cause swings which is far worse than low pH or high pH but seriously with all that coral in there, 6.0? No way, something is wrong.

7. OP
    OP
    m

mtortsNew MemberMember

Could be the old text strips I'm using to I'm going to pets mart tonight after work to buy the good test kit. I'll let u know what those results are.

8. OP
    OP
    m

mtortsNew MemberMember

Ok so I bought the good api test kit ( so much better than the strips) here are my results. I just started the tank 3 days ago with established media from my 20g and I think it's already good to go after a water change or 2.
    Ph- 8.0-8.2
    Ammonia- 0.25ppm
    Nitrite- 0.50ppm
    Nitrate- 20ppm

What do you think.

9. KimberlyG

Okay, that pH is more believable! lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice