First Canister....thoughts and advice please!

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Meeps83, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Meeps83

Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

Long story short, my husband let me upgrade my tank to a 60 gallon so he could have my 45. I wanted a 75, but I ended up finding an awesome sale at Petsmart for a 60 gallon tank/stand combo for cheaper than just a 75 gallon tank and cheaper than everything on CL.

For this tank, I'd like to do a canister. I've never done one before so this is going to be all new for me. I'd like to do 2 canisters to even out the flow and filtration throughout the tank. I'll also have two separate heaters in it.

For the canisters, these are the options that I've narrowed down (in no certain order)

2 Aquatop CF-300's (rated at 264 gph each)

2 Rena Filstar XP1's (rated at 250 gph each)

2 Eheim Classic 2217's (rated at 264 gph each)

2 Marineland C-220's (rated at 220 gph each)

1 Fluval 206 (206 gph) and 1 Fluval 306 (303 gph)

Any opinions or experiences with these would be much appreciated. Also, is the 2 filter plan good or should I just do 1? Thanks in advance!

2. slade

sladeValued MemberMember

I have an Eheim 2217 canister and an Aquaclear 110 HOB on my 55 gallon cichlid tank. I think the 2217 is great, but for the price, I'd go with the Aquatop CF-300's - you can get both for the price of one 2217. I've also heard good things about the Fluval, but have no experience with them.

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

2 filters is an excellent plan.

I'm a big fan of the aquatops - 2 of the 300's would be my choice. They hold a TON of media and won't break the bank.

The XP1s are not nearly big enough, even with 2 of them. The XP2 isn't very impressive either - for the GPH, they don't hold as much media as they ought to. The XP3 and 4 are impressive filters, though.

The marinelands are ridiculously priced, and the two 220's would be on the weaker side.

4. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

I know I keep coming back to that too. I can get 2 filters for the price of 1 of most other filters listed...

5. Brainlady

BrainladyWell Known MemberMember

I had a Fluval on a 75 gallon and it was an amazing filter. Took some getting use to, and was at times difficult to get going. It was bigger than the 306 I think. It provided amazing filtration..... my water params were always perfect and my water always looked crystal clear. I loved that filter and on my 120 gallon I have a filter that is similar but each section of the filter is laid out in a horizontal way, sort of like a series of drawers side by side. I would go for the Fluval personally. It offers a variety of options in terms of filtration and is not that hard to maintain once you get the hang of it.

6. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

Oooooh good catch on the Marineland. The 220's are on sale for $90 each which is why I listed them. I was aiming for over 500 gph total to make up for the decrease in flow after I add in the media.

7. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Instead of CF-300, I would get two CF-400 since they come with a UV sterilizer

8. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

And can any brand of filter media be used in these or is it manufacturer specific? We pretty much only have Fluval's around here and that's it, but it seems like all of their media is fairly cheap and easy to find. Would I have to buy a Fluval to use their media or could I put the same media in the Aquatop or the Rena...etc?

9. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

Is the UV Sterilizer something I will need?

10. Dlondon95

Dlondon95Well Known MemberMember

I would also recommend the Aquatop. I have the 365gph model on my 75g and it works great. Mine has the UV sterilizer in it and it is great for when you get bad algae attacks.

You don't NEED the UV sterilizer, but IMO, it's definitely worth the extra money.

11. AmazonPassion

I agree with Dlondon95, for me it's the peace of mind aspect. I hardly have it on, but when I use to get new fish, I would automatically turn it on for a couple of weeks as a preventive measure ;-). It's a couple of dollars extra for the option of an UV. I have both CF-400 and CF-500 in my tank.

12. Jaysee

The only brand specific media is the mechanical media - pads and sponges. Aside from that, it doesn't matter.

The two 400's would certainly be better, but I don't think it will make enough of a difference to warrant spending the extra money. UV works by exposing pathogens to the light. There are two variables to consider - the length of the bulb and the flow rate of the water over the bulb - both of which determine the exposure time. In order to get the most out of the UV, it needs to be a low flow so that the water spends more water in front of the bulb. The flow rate through the filter is too much to make the UV worthwhile. If it's something you wanted, it would be best to go out and get one.

13. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

That's good to know about the UV Sterilizers. On the same token though, wouldn't it be more useful in my quarantine setup instead of on the main tank? Also, are the two 300's enough filtration capacity or would two 400's be a better plan of action?

14. Jaysee

I think it's the same difference.

Are you planning on overstocking the tank?

15. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

I don't PLAN to but I'm transferring some of the stock from my 45. I have 2 sets of 2 Cories and I wanted to bump up their schools, but with the other stock I'm putting in I might not have the space. That, and sometimes I see that "perfect" fish that will be great for my tank. I don't want it overstocked, but I know it happens...especially since I'm fairly new at this.

16. Jaysee

If you were going to be stocking large, messy fish than I would say that one and one or two 400's would be a good idea, but if you are going to be stocking a normal community tank, the two 300's will be plenty.

17. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

Ok. Honestly, you can't beat the price on the Aquatop's. I think they all sounded pretty decent, but I don't want to buy something very expensive regret spending the money if it doesn't work. I think, for me, the Aquatop is the way to go.

18. AmazonPassion

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice