First canister fail

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Bijou88, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Well I'm a genius....got my brand spankin new sunsun canister set up tonight, everything was going pretty well.

I realized I'd forgotten to put in the top tray thing (flat piece, goes on top of the trays) so I decided to open it up and put it in....

I did not realize (stupidly) that there would still be suction even with it unplugged. I left the hoses attached, duh.

Apparently my 140 lb self isn't quite heavy enough to wedge the top back on by leaning on it with water pouring out in every direction. I'm guessing about 3 gallons escaped before I kinda hopped on the lid and got it buckled back on. In retrospect I probably should have unhooked the hoses instead of trying to cram the top back on, but...you know.

I felt just stupid enough that I had to share. Yay me. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Similar thing happened to me this evening. I opened up my Fluval 406 to get some bio balls out to transfer to my 206. But I left it plugged in and water went pouring all over, big mess. I had to use a hair dryer to dry the back of the wooden stand and the wires down there lol. Good thing I have drip loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Make sure the top is sealed all the way that makes a mess lol

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

It happens. Ever been filling a tank and left to do something else? You'd think after having 2 or 3 overflow I'd learn. But nope. It happened AGAIN. Just last weekend.... I've done this so many times I've lost count.

5. Dom90

Let me guess, you went to take a nap and totally forgot about it?

6. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Haha Dom90! I'm glad I'm not alone. My little flood barely missed the power strip thank goodness, that would have been REALLY bad.

7. BDpups

No nap. I let my dogs out and one chased a rabbit. I have basset hounds. And if you've ever seen a 65 pound basset with 4 inch legs chase a rabbit, you're gonna sit there and watch :)

8. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Excellent visual BDpups, haha. I fill mine with a trash can and pitcher so that's not a problem, I have had my hose escape the dirty water can and let loose about 10g of poopy fish water and sand bits on my floors, that was super fun, bleh! Took me almost a week before everything dried out.

9. Dom90

Can you imagine? The heater may have shorter out or started electrocuting the fish....

10. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

My last flood I managed to get water on the wall outlet, fried a power strip, the outlet and my window ac. Not a good time. Luckily it wasn't the strip for the tank but the one for my TV, dvd player etc which all were unharmed.

11. Dom90

Well the power outlet near the tank is used solely for my 75g tank, with a surge protector lol. So the electronics are perfectly safe!

12. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

I have pretty shotty electrical here anyway, whoever wired the breakers here was on some serious drugs, lol.

13. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

Try falling asleep with the top off stuck feeding water into a 500g and wake up 7 hours later to find the carpet all squishy and the floor drain gurgling lol. Good thing it's commercial grade and in the basement. As for canisters, yep, been there, done that many times.

14. BDpups

7 hours? Wow!! That's got me beat. I don't think mine have ever gone for more than a few minutes.

15. Dadio

Should have seen my water bill, lol

16. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

Bijou88, I have not done exactly what you did, but I did once plug in one of my Filstars with the quick connect handle still in the unlocked-valves closed position. It immediately erupted like Old Faithful, blew the quick connect out of the top of the filter and soaked EVERYTHING under the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

17. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Oh no! That's almost what mine did, I was horrified by how quickly the water was pouring out, lol. Aaaaaaaaa!

18. Dadio

Great day for a wet t-shirt contest lol, well, at least up north it would be, Really hot one today with air quality really low due to the amount of forest fires burning.

19. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

It's almost 100 degrees here today, bleh! Luckily only my cats got to witness my wet t shirt contest, lol, one of them was very entertained by the water shooting out, he snapped at it a couple times then just followed the growing puddle across the room....super helpful, haha.

@Dadio, i didn't know you were having forest fires up there, that's no good. ..

We don't have forests here really but it's about that time of year where they burn the crop fields in between plantings, that's always a great couple weeks...this lovely haze hangs in the air just about killing all of us allergy sufferers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  20. Dom90

Ugh I can't stay outside for long in April or May, all the pollenation... Yet I have two dogs (not hypoallergenic ones) and I'm not phased out by their fur.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice