first blue gourami

Discussion in 'Blue Gourami' started by wierdoinabowl3498, Dec 1, 2012.

1. w

wierdoinabowl3498 Valued Member Member

so a couple weeks ago i got a blue gourami from this lady who was moving, it wasnt my intention but i felt bad for it because it was being bullied by the golden gourami. i named it after my brothers childhood toy, teddy blue. how do i know which sex it is?

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Below is some information that might help. Good Luck!

3. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

That is only true for one species of gourami, 3 spots. Luckily(if not ironic somehow) a blue gourami is a 3 spot. The dorsal fin is the way to tell with 3 spots. Females are small and rounded, males are long and pointed.

Ill throw out my usual cautions, 3-spots are one of the more aggressive species, more so then dwarfs. They do not like their own kind normally(at least, not in smaller tanks) and they do not like other gourami or flashy fish like dwarf cichlids. Each is an individual though, some are calm others are very aggressive. They get anywhere from 4-6", gender does not seem to effect behavior.

4. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

We love ours, and yes, he's weird. He's hit his juvenile stage and showing his hormones. He's been in with a few swordtails and platy, and a dwarf gourami in a 37 gallon. He had started showing attitude lately, but funny thing is when we got a few new plants and set up our 20 long, we took out the driftwood from 'his' tank and put some purple cabomba in. I hadn't planted it yet, and let it float near the top with the fake bamboo that trails across the top corner of the tank. He's decided that within the cabomba, he shall make his garden penthouse suite, and has been so much calmer over the past week. He still gets out all around the tank, and the other fish are more at ease again, but he periodically goes back to 'his room'. Yeah, 3 spots are weird. Lots of quirks, so just keep tabs on yours, but very personable to their people so I'm sure you'll enjoy him or her!

5. OP
    OP
    w

this one only has 2 spots. it seems to have very faint verticle stripes on its flanks. i really like it and i'm not interested in breeding it or anything of that sort, i would just like to know. it was smaller than the golden gourami in its old tank. the golden had 3 spots and verticle stripes on its sides. the mollies are scared of it but its mouth is smaller than theirs. i feel bad for it though sometimes because when its around all the fish except the male mollie take off. its really funny!

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's also true for pearl gouramis. It's likely to be true of other trichopodus gouramis, like the moonlight.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I thought moon lights were Sexable by color, it is true though for pearls though, normally i sex em by color but that only works with mature fish i think.

Edit: Moonlights are the same as pearls in the respect it seems (orange chest male but dorsal fins too)

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Sure, color is a way of sexing them. But, all the gouramis of that genus are sexed by the dorsal fin - 3 spots, pearls, moonlights, snakeskins, and whatever else.

9. OP
    OP
    w

also if this helps, teddy blue is about 3-3 1/2 inches long. and its a really light bluish color.

10. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Can you get a pic? Lucy my Opal(different color of blue) is 3 1/2 inches long and her dorsal is short and rounded not long and pointy like a male. Sol was the one to sex her and my honey gourami from the pics I took. She is gentle right now but I am watching her and if she does act out she well go in the 70 I have discus growing out in. They are moving to the 280 in 2 weeks with the others that are in it now.

11. OP
    OP
    w

Not right now because I'm on my android. I have photo bucket but it won't give me the img code.

12. OP
    OP
    w

teddy's female. i went to the pet store and they had a blue gourami. i asked the manager which sex it was and he said male. my teddy looks way different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice