First Big Tank

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I were you, I'd go with a bigger filter with more gph.
I strongly recommend a Fluval FX4/6.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you didn't want to buy such a large filter, you could use the one you inherited and add a second canister that, when used with the Penn Plax 1200, would give you the GPH you'd need?

ChichLove79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
People with aquariums that are under filtered usually have to do a lot water changes.

Just sayin' not an aquarium expert by any means.

Discus look freaking amazing though.

Last edited:

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IMHO I would do a sump on anything over 100 just for ease and overall look of the tank. Most don't think sumps when it come to freshwater but it works just the same

cichlid234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What's the recommendation for gph everything I've read says it's good for 150 gal

Also I would love to build a sump if it's cost affective

Last edited by a moderator:

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a 130, I personally wouldnt go lower than 500gph. Just on my 75 I will have close to 400gph. I will be running two Magnum 350's.

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sumps are pretty cheap if you are a little handy and build it yourself. Most expensive thing would either be the tank ($1 per gallon at petco) or the pump used to push the water back to the tank from below

You could probably build one for around $100-200 total

fishandle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What is the stocking is going to be? A dozen neons vs a 50 Africans cichlids makes a big difference on filter needs.

cichlid234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
South American cichlids not gonna overstock

Lyfe, what's a good place to order the mechanical parts pumps and stuff I understand building the baffles and how they work

Last edited by a moderator:

fishandle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
South American cichlids not gonna overstock
Pretty heavy waste makers, I would look into additional filtration to add along side your penn plax. Probably another canister. It's always good to have 2 sources of filtration anyway, in case one breaks down.

MaddieTaylah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love sumps, I actually used a heavy duty storage container for mine to save money. You either have to have a drilled tank or make/buy an overflow though which can be complicated.

A canister filter is the easier choice.

radar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Filtration is not just a matter of tank size but a matter of how the tank is stocked. Just because , let's say ,you have a 55 gallon tank doesn't mean you necessarily need 550gph filtration if you are lightly stocked.

cichlid234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks guys that's why I always come to this site when I start a tank

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For discus, you want pristine water quality. Most of that comes through water changes. When they're juveniles, you'll be doing daily or every other day water changes. When they're adults, you can back off the water changes to 1-2 times weekly. However, filtration also makes up an important component, and I would aim for at least 7-8x GPH for a discus tank for canisters or sumps, personally.

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Siphon/overflows are what most people do. When I do my next tank build I will just use an overflow. Mine will be made out of pvc pipes. Basically these sit just barely under the surface or the display tank and water can flow down into the sump from here. Submersible pump will send water back up to the tabk

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I prefer a drilled tank to a suction overflow. It's generally considered safer. Can you drill the tank (or get it drilled)?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom