First Big Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by cichlid234, Apr 17, 2017.

1. cichlid234

cichlid234 Valued Member Member

Bout to set up my first 135 gal and never used a cannister filter. Inherited a penn plax cascade 1200. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated. Lookin to do an an angelfish discus tank setup but goin to take all the time nessesary to season tank main concern is canister filter setup. Thanks

2. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

If I were you, I'd go with a bigger filter with more gph.
    I strongly recommend a Fluval FX4/6.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you didn't want to buy such a large filter, you could use the one you inherited and add a second canister that, when used with the Penn Plax 1200, would give you the GPH you'd need?

4. ChichLove79

ChichLove79 Valued Member Member

People with aquariums that are under filtered usually have to do a lot water changes.

Just sayin' not an aquarium expert by any means.

Discus look freaking amazing though.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. lyfeoffishin

lyfeoffishin Valued Member Member

IMHO I would do a sump on anything over 100 just for ease and overall look of the tank. Most don't think sumps when it come to freshwater but it works just the same

6. OP
    OP
    cichlid234

What's the recommendation for gph everything I've read says it's good for 150 gal

Also I would love to build a sump if it's cost affective

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  7. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

For a 130, I personally wouldnt go lower than 500gph. Just on my 75 I will have close to 400gph. I will be running two Magnum 350's.

8. lyfeoffishin

Sumps are pretty cheap if you are a little handy and build it yourself. Most expensive thing would either be the tank ($1 per gallon at petco) or the pump used to push the water back to the tank from below

You could probably build one for around $100-200 total

9. fishandle

fishandle Valued Member Member

What is the stocking is going to be? A dozen neons vs a 50 Africans cichlids makes a big difference on filter needs.

10. OP
    OP
    cichlid234

South American cichlids not gonna overstock

Lyfe, what's a good place to order the mechanical parts pumps and stuff I understand building the baffles and how they work

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  11. lyfeoffishin

You can look on dr foster and smith website

12. fishandle

fishandle Valued Member Member

Pretty heavy waste makers, I would look into additional filtration to add along side your penn plax. Probably another canister. It's always good to have 2 sources of filtration anyway, in case one breaks down.

13. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I love sumps, I actually used a heavy duty storage container for mine to save money. You either have to have a drilled tank or make/buy an overflow though which can be complicated.

A canister filter is the easier choice.

14. r

radar Valued Member Member

Filtration is not just a matter of tank size but a matter of how the tank is stocked. Just because , let's say ,you have a 55 gallon tank doesn't mean you necessarily need 550gph filtration if you are lightly stocked.

15. lyfeoffishin

Overflows aren't hard to make just need pvc and basic knowledge

16. OP
    OP
    cichlid234

Thanks guys that's why I always come to this site when I start a tank

17. TexasDomer

For discus, you want pristine water quality. Most of that comes through water changes. When they're juveniles, you'll be doing daily or every other day water changes. When they're adults, you can back off the water changes to 1-2 times weekly. However, filtration also makes up an important component, and I would aim for at least 7-8x GPH for a discus tank for canisters or sumps, personally.

18. OP
    OP
    cichlid234

So to get the water into the sump do I create a siphon? And then use a submersible pump to flow water back into the tank? Or two pumps.

19. lyfeoffishin

Siphon/overflows are what most people do. When I do my next tank build I will just use an overflow. Mine will be made out of pvc pipes. Basically these sit just barely under the surface or the display tank and water can flow down into the sump from here. Submersible pump will send water back up to the tabk

20. TexasDomer

I prefer a drilled tank to a suction overflow. It's generally considered safer. Can you drill the tank (or get it drilled)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice