First Betta Tank

Nillamole

Reaction score
I got a female Betta from Wal-Mart that nobody was buying, her name is Hecate. I originally bought a 1 gallon bowl, because I was waiting on a tank from a friend, but felt so bad I went and got a 5 gallon tank. I have been loving taking care of the tank and her, but have a couple questions. Attached is a photo of my tank and her, from when she was in the bowl (it's so hard to get a picture now because she's always zooming around). I would like to add real plants, but don't think I'm ready. As for the questions:

How does it look? I like the setup, but is it good for the fish?

Does she need bubbles? I got the moss ball for extra oxygen, but I think she may like playing in the bubbles.

Is 5 gallons too small to add anything else? Maybe a snail or an African Dwarf frog. Is it too small in general?

I started the tank with Tetra safe start and test my water often with a master test kit. So far everything is in range, but the Ph was recently in the high 8's. I did a partial water change and it lowered a little bit. Is there a good way to lower it more, or should I not worry about it?

I have seen a lot of conflicting reports on feeding. I feed her very small amounts sometimes 2-3 times a day, for example small pinch of flakes, a couple pellets and either a thawed out or freeze dried blood worm is a Big day for her. All hours apart never together. I skip at least a day a week. Does this sound Ok?

She seems to be happy, I notice she comes out every time she sees me and interacts. She is very aggressive with food, she pretty much attacks anything I give her, she nabs thawed worms from my fingers. She swims around the tank quite a bit, diving around and going through the rock cave. Sometimes I catch her just chilling in the bottom left corner in the back.

Anyway, sorry to be so longwinded I'm really excited about this. Thanks for checking out my new tank and answering my questions!

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Awesome! Congratulations!
I personally think you’ve done a wonderful job, it’s a great home, thanks for saving her. Did you cycle the tank before you added her?

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Congratulations, she’s in great shape

In the 5 gallon, she could have a snail friend but I wouldn’t add more than that because she might not want to share her space. Seems like she enjoys her room

Multiple small feeding are an excellent way to avoid various digestive issues, and a snail would pick up any leftovers or algae.

I’d do a single pellet or flake per feed, as she’s eating so often.

If you didn’t take time to cycle the tank, there are a couple of products that will do that quickly for you

Seachem Stability is great, and if you’re a Petsmart customer, the Fluval product is a great alternative. They don’t carry Stability but the fluval one has shown success in my tanks. I’ve also used Nutrafin cycle

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like it! The only thing I would do is change the gravel for sand. In my opinion it looks better, no nitrate factory/no gravel vacuuming, and you can get a 50 pound bag from a place like fleet farm for a couple bucks. I wouldn’t recommend it but I have a friend that keeps a betta with a Zebra Danio trio. Plants aren’t that bad! I have several java ferns and I can’t kill them!

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nillamole said:
I got a female Betta from Wal-Mart that nobody was buying, her name is Hecate. I originally bought a 1 gallon bowl, because I was waiting on a tank from a friend, but felt so bad I went and got a 5 gallon tank. I have been loving taking care of the tank and her, but have a couple questions. Attached is a photo of my tank and her, from when she was in the bowl (it's so hard to get a picture now because she's always zooming around). I would like to add real plants, but don't think I'm ready. As for the questions:

How does it look? I like the setup, but is it good for the fish?

Does she need bubbles? I got the moss ball for extra oxygen, but I think she may like playing in the bubbles.

Is 5 gallons too small to add anything else? Maybe a snail or an African Dwarf frog. Is it too small in general?

I started the tank with Tetra safe start and test my water often with a master test kit. So far everything is in range, but the Ph was recently in the high 8's. I did a partial water change and it lowered a little bit. Is there a good way to lower it more, or should I not worry about it?

I have seen a lot of conflicting reports on feeding. I feed her very small amounts sometimes 2-3 times a day, for example small pinch of flakes, a couple pellets and either a thawed out or freeze dried blood worm is a Big day for her. All hours apart never together. I skip at least a day a week. Does this sound Ok?

She seems to be happy, I notice she comes out every time she sees me and interacts. She is very aggressive with food, she pretty much attacks anything I give her, she nabs thawed worms from my fingers. She swims around the tank quite a bit, diving around and going through the rock cave. Sometimes I catch her just chilling in the bottom left corner in the back.

Anyway, sorry to be so longwinded I'm really excited about this. Thanks for checking out my new tank and answering my questions!
Wonderful! How lucky Hecate is. She's won the fishy lottery.

Sounds like you're doing a great job, Nillamole. I'm so happy - can I say I'm proud of you without being condescending? - that you got a larger tank. My Fishy Boris Karloff also has five gallons in which to swim, swim, swim, and boy, does he love it. It's obvious that Hecate loves hers, too.

Please post more pictures when you get a chance.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks awesome! Glad you learned from you mistake of a small bowl to a 5gallon! The tank size is fine and she wouldn't need another friend but if you wanted you could get a snail or some shrimp. But its not necessary.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom