First berried female! Now what??

Magua

When I moved my betta up to a 7.5 gallon, I decided to use his old 3.5 gallon for shrimp. I added a ton of Java moss and other plants and got 3 cherries (2 male and 1 female as that’s all petco had). I’ve been staring at them daily for weeks and just noticed EGGS on my female tonight! I’m so excited…but what comes next?

How long after seeing eggs do they hatch? Does she deposit them somewhere before hatching or carry them the entire time? Do I need to do anything special for them?

mattgirl

Congratulations on your berried female. It will a few weeks and she will carry them around until they hatch. You don't have to do anything special for her. She knows what to do.

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

I've never had to worry about feeding anything special to the new babies. When they hatch, they will eat the same things the adult shrimp eat. It's always seemed to me that as soon as one female berries up, any other females in there will follow suit.

Upvote 0

richiep

Let's see some photos please

Upvote 0

Yeoy

They don't really require anything extra from the parents. Congrats! The more shrimp, the merrier. And you could definitely add a few more females if you get the opportunity. +1 vote for pics.

Upvote 0

Magua

My old iPhone 7 isn’t the best camera, but I think you can tell here!

Attachments

• D9EC9542-B5E3-45F4-A299-13755F322A0A.jpeg
    D9EC9542-B5E3-45F4-A299-13755F322A0A.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 56A8D7ED-728E-49A6-810F-F90E198ACBB4.jpeg
    56A8D7ED-728E-49A6-810F-F90E198ACBB4.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 59FEAA8F-0FC0-428D-BD50-552FCDB529FC.jpeg
    59FEAA8F-0FC0-428D-BD50-552FCDB529FC.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 1ABDDC0A-9746-442E-98E3-038B2CAA1046.jpeg
    1ABDDC0A-9746-442E-98E3-038B2CAA1046.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

richiep

Thats a lovely coloured shrimp and busting at the seems with eggs
You've also a great looking tank, you will have to watch that intake as that'll be a magnet to fry and you could very well loose them, you may want to think about covering It with a stocking

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

That's a nice setup. Beautiful shrimp and beautiful tank.

Upvote 0

Magua

Thats a lovely coloured shrimp and busting at the seems with eggs
You've also a great looking tank, you will have to watch that intake as that'll be a magnet to fry and you could very well loose them, you may want to think about covering It with a stocking
I actually took it apart and shoved coarse sponge in there. I’m hoping that’s enough!?

Upvote 0

richiep

How coarse have you a picture of a piece

Upvote 0

Magua

How coarse have you a picture of a piece
Oh boy…I bet it’s too coarse. I also have the white fine filter sponge…should I use this instead? Pictures included

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

richiep

That coarse is to coarse the young will disappear stright away
Now the white floss will do but you'll find you'll have to change it at least once a week maybe more
Because the fins are wide you could put a pop sock over the outside of the filter and clean that regularly , once a week or fortnight depending how your flow is, it may even go 3 weeks

Upvote 0

Magua

That coarse is to coarse the young will disappear stright away
Now the white floss will do but you'll find you'll have to change it at least once a week maybe more
Because the fins are wide you could put a pop sock over the outside of the filter and clean that regularly , once a week or fortnight depending how your flow is, it may even go 3 weeks
Thanks SO much! I think the sock is the way to go. Glad you caught this!!

SOCKED!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

richiep

Before I changed my filters over I had a coarse sponge and this is what I done, as you can see shrimp are drawn to filters

Attachments

• 20181119_145420.jpg
    20181119_145420.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Magua

Before I changed my filters over I had a coarse sponge and this is what I done, as you can see shrimp are drawn to filters
Holy cow…they’re tiny!!

Upvote 0

richiep

First born are ½the size of the smallest and in your tank you may not see then for 2 to 3 weeks after they're born

Upvote 0

Magua

One more question here!! So, will the female deposit the eggs somewhere before they hatch or do they hatch while in her flipper thingies? I just stare at her through a magnifying glass. This is so fascinating!!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

One more question here!! So, will the female deposit the eggs somewhere before they hatch or do they hatch while in her flipper thingies? I just stare at her through a magnifying glass. This is so fascinating!!
No she won't drop her eggs. She will carry them until they hatch.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FeederGuppies
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357
Replies
Views
Lsurtees