First batch of fry!

1. kwhitworth83 Member Member

Our first batch of fry were born today. Ducky (our first pregnant female) was hanging out by the heater for the last couple days. Closely guarded by Petrie (the only male). Being the hopeless romantic I am I thought he was being protective. The hubs thought he was just hungry and waiting on fresh fry. Since he is still chasing Ducky around I'm guessing he just knows she's fertile again. I've only seen 3 little ones. They are too slick for me to catch a picture yet but I'll be watching diligently :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Congrats! Fry in the tank is always fun to watch! Glad to see them swimming around! Hope all goes well are you setting them up a tank or just breeding in main tank.

3. kwhitworth83 Member Member

Thanks. We are just leaving them in the main tank for now. They are hiding out below the rocks we used for the Java fern.

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Good choice, I always let nature run its course! The fry that don't survive were usually weak or sick to begin with so the ones that are left over and survive will be strong and healthy!

5. kwhitworth83 Member Member

Our original plan was to get two female platies and let them drop fry until they were empty as it were lol. But we ended up with a male so we figured why not. If things get too out of hand I have four other tanks waiting for any viable excuse I can use so my hubby will let me set them up.

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Love your way of thinking, I'm still trying to find a viable excuse to get another 55g tank, just don't know if the girlfriend will approve as the house we own is fairly small. I don't have an empty tank sitting around ever, Definitely a symptom of MTS.

7. kwhitworth83 Member Member

I just helped a friend move and he gave me another 20g long and a 10g plus three filters as payment :) I was very happy. We have a small apartment with old wiring so my husband's paranoia is valid I suppose lol.

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Ah yes!! I understand completely! ;)

9. temptresstoo Initiate Member

I've kept tropical fish off and on throughout my life...even worked in a pet store at one time. Never really did any breeding though, and had no interest in doing so.

So the reason I bought some platys recently, was for an outdoor fountain, deep enough for fish...my goal was to keep any potential mosquito larvae in check. Living in the deep south, it's 80+ degrees most of the year, with only a short mild winter. For their well being, there is an algae eater to help with that, a live moss ball, and live snails...their purpose being tank/water cleaning.

So, I went to the pet shop to purchase my platys...specifically asking for male platys. I got a couple male red-wag platies, and my daughter begged for a "Mickey Mouse" platy, so I got one of those. I didn't pay too much attention to the male requirement on that MM...because I didn't think much of it.

So...last night I was cleaning the filter and happened to notice FRY....what in the heck, I thought...some of them look like red-wags, and some look like MMs. I only counted about 5. For the record, I don't want fry...so I'm not doing anything special for them. I'm just baffled I got any at all.

Greetings, ya'll!

10. kwhitworth83 Member Member

Finally got around to posting a picture. Sorry! They were born from a wag tail but at the moment the fry look more like our spotted female.

4of5.jpg