First Attempt Planted Tank

Anthony1976

Valued Member
Reaction score
7A1012FE-E33B-4E0B-B0D0-04B289DCE6C9.jpeg
Hi everyone,
This is my first attempt at a planted tank as I have always had fake plants. I bought a blue stricta plant which I split up round the edges and have used root tabs on these. I have also bought an Anubis which I have split up and glued to some mopani and I have also attached java moss to it also with cotton and am also dosing the water column with flourish and all the plants seem to be growing Im hoping the blue strictas will get to a good size. I just want peoples advice really on anything I have done wrong or I could do better any advice would be appreciated as I’m new to planted tanks.
Thanks in advance

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks promising! Just keep...doing what you're doing! : ) And be patient most of all sir. And NEVER get discouraged or give up.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It seems blue stricta is a species of stem plant, usually you want to plant with about half an inch of space between them to give each stem room for growth and light. You can propagate and make the plant look more fuller by cutting the stem between the nodes (the section where leaves grow from) and replanting the tops, or you can just let it grow tall like a jungle-style.

Try not to move your plants around for at least a month or so, this will give your plant a chance to adjust and settle as needed. Some beginners may mistakenly think that this transition is a plant dying or that something's wrong. Some plants, like crypts, are notorious for dying back, but soon enough it grows back stronger.

Trim off any unhealthy signs of die-off, dying leaves are an algae magnet and if it's not addressed right away then you risk having algae grow on the plants.

Anubias are slow growers, but that could help you pin point problems a bit easier. They usually take 2 weeks to show signs that something is wrong, and it takes a long time for it to die so you have plenty of time to address the issue lol.

Other than that, looks great and best of luck!

Anthony1976

Valued Member
Reaction score
It seems blue stricta is a species of stem plant, usually you want to plant with about half an inch of space between them to give each stem room for growth and light. You can propagate and make the plant look more fuller by cutting the stem between the nodes (the section where leaves grow from) and replanting the tops, or you can just let it grow tall like a jungle-style.

Try not to move your plants around for at least a month or so, this will give your plant a chance to adjust and settle as needed. Some beginners may mistakenly think that this transition is a plant dying or that something's wrong. Some plants, like crypts, are notorious for dying back, but soon enough it grows back stronger.

Trim off any unhealthy signs of die-off, dying leaves are an algae magnet and if it's not addressed right away then you risk having algae grow on the plants.

Anubias are slow growers, but that could help you pin point problems a bit easier. They usually take 2 weeks to show signs that something is wrong, and it takes a long time for it to die so you have plenty of time to address the issue lol.

Other than that, looks great and best of luck!
Thankyou for the input and advice much appreciated. I probably should of used some of the aquarium soil but my budget didn’t stretch far enough.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thankyou for the input and advice much appreciated. I probably should of used some of the aquarium soil but my budget didn’t stretch far enough.
That's okay if you cant do the aquarium soil, stem plants are more forgiving with substrate as opposed to rosette type plants like swords and crypts. You could do root tabs if anything.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom