First Attempt At Really Scaping

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So my 46b was kinda rushed and thrown together little by little over the course of about a year, but I bought a 20H a couple weeks ago and decided to try my hands out at doing an actual scape...I gotta say I’m pretty pleased with the results, but what do y’all think?

I think I plan on using this tank as a sort of hospital/QT tank so meds are cheaper for me, but I think I also want to stock it with fancy shrimp, maybe some assassin snails and/or a smaller loach like a dojo or something? Idk, looking for ideas?

2070128C-EF72-4E88-B294-26E33F565D19.jpeg
DA72CF37-8120-42AC-B9DC-65BFF618C2DA.jpeg

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it looks great, especially when more of the grass grows taller, itll be a nice set up

Um i wouldnt do a dojo in a 20. They arent a small loach, they can reach over 10" long.

Id do a school of 6 khulis though but if using it as a sick tank, youd have to be careful using certain meds because loaches are scaleless fish and cant have certain medications used with them. Even removing them from the tank during treatment... id still worry about the residue.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks lovely! Very natural.
I wouldn't keep shrimp in the tank though if you are planning to use it as a hospital tank... there's a lot of fish meds that will kill shrimp & other inverts.

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks lovely! Very natural.
I wouldn't keep shrimp in the tank though if you are planning to use it as a hospital tank... there's a lot of fish meds that will kill shrimp & other inverts.
Thank you! I’m pretty proud of it and really happy with the way it turned out for my first time.

Yeah, I know about the meds thing unfortunately, but thank you for the heads up ...I figure that if I need to use any of the meds that will harm them, I’ll just take one of the sponges out of there and put it in a 5g bucket and treat the fish there, but for general stuff that can be cured with invert safe meds I can use it for a hospital tank that’s still nice and ‘homey’ feeling vs dropping them in a bucket.

I think the tannins are also good for healing as well, right? Or am I mistaken? Lol

Truth be told I am also trying to get a nice big fancy shrimp colony so I can toss like 15 at a time in to my 46. I think that I have enough cover and hiding spots in there for them to be able to make it despite my Angel, but I want to have a big colony established first so I’m not screwed if Raat decides to be a jerk and eat them all. Haha!

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it looks great, especially when more of the grass grows taller, itll be a nice set up

Um i wouldnt do a dojo in a 20. They arent a small loach, they can reach over 10" long.

Id do a school of 6 khulis though but if using it as a sick tank, youd have to be careful using certain meds because loaches are scaleless fish and cant have certain medications used with them. Even removing them from the tank during treatment... id still worry about the residue.
Thank you thank you! And oops maybe I was thinking of the wrong loach lol. I know there are a couple types that stay small...definitely don’t want one of the big ones lol but couldn’t remember which ones are which. Basically just a little guy to eat some of the pest snails I have, plus I heard loaches are a lot of fun and shrimp safe?

Maybe I need to start being honest with myself here and admit that this thing quickly changed from a hospital tank to another tank:emoji_disappointed_relieved::emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_joy:

Maybe a hospital tank for the ‘nicer/easy’ meds, but for any that are iffy I can just pop them in a bucket with a sponge.

My girl is gonna punch me if/when she sees me setting up a hospital bucket...”I THOUGHT THATS WHY WE GOT THE 20H?”

Uh yeah, about that...I have a problem...:emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat::emoji_joy:

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmm... I get what you are saying, but why set up a QT tank if you have to treat sick fish in a bucket? Sounds to me like you should set this new one up as an additional display tank, and get an inexpensive smaller tank just to be used for QT when you need it just my 2 cents!
I think tannins are helpful to fish that naturally come from an environment with tannins... not sure how helpful they are to fish that come from clear water habitat?

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah then get a small school of zebra loaches, as a 20 may be okay for a couple, but loaches are social so you'll need more than one.

But yeah i dont think its gonna be a "hospital" tank either lol but hey why not?! If i had more room myself id get more

Its not pretty but i got a 5gal storage bin as a betta tank with a sponge filter. You can always get one of those for a hospital tank :angelic:

Top Bottom