First attempt at brine shrimp hatching

1. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I left myself stupid proof instructions, in case it works and I want to do it again. I used marine salt rather than aquarium salt. Don't know if that was a good idea, but oh well, too late now.

I'm planning to use the base as a water catch as well, so I weighed it down with water a bit to prevent tipping. The bottle neck will be used to change water and harvest shrimplets. I'm going to grind up some algae wafers to feed them before I feed them to the fish, assuming they hatch. I've been keeping the eggs in my fridge because my apartment was so darn warm. Anyway the plan is to let water out through a brine shrimp net, put some of the shrimplets back into the hatchery, and some into fresh water to add to my tanks. Hopefully now I'll be able to feed the coccina complex bettas who won't eat anything but live food.

DSCF6678.jpg

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Looks good! It is bad for the fish if they eat the eggs because it causes constipation, so it is best to siphon them out with airline tubing. Gut-loading them is a very good idea....I will look into that. My bettas LOVE brine shrimp I have 2 bottles at all times so I always have BBS on hand for all of my fish:)

3. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I used to raise them, and it was actually fun. I loved being able to feed my fish live adults, and my fry freshly hatched ones. :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I suspect that the fish that need them in my setup are too small to eat adults. They're tiny little coccina complex bettas that will only eat live food. I think I might have lost the females of both species, as I can't find them anywhere in the tanks, but the males have been spotted in the past week, so hopefully they're doing fine. :)

I'll also be using them to hopefully induce breeding in my B. rubra, as they do best breeding when live food is introduced, along with water changes. Easiest fish ever to breed ;)