First Aquascaped Tank, Trying Dry Start Method For Mc Carpet

WaldoDude

Reaction score
Hello!

So I’m starting a new tank with my Waterbox 10, and trying out an aquascape with a BonsaI Driftwood I got a hold of. This would be my first proper aquascaped tank and I’m giving the dry start method a go for my Monte Carlo carpet. I’m mainly doing the dry-start so that when I add the water the MC won’t float up. Anyways I have some questions about how to go about things.

I’ve started by planting the MC and spraying water until there’s a little puddle at the front of the tank (bottom of the slope). Then I’ve glad-wrapped the top of the tank, so its been humid with a lot of condensation occurring. It’s been 5 days and I’ve also just noticed a lot of spider-webbish fungus on my Bonsai.

1. How dry/wet should the tank be?

2. Should the tank be covered or not?

3. How long of lighting period should I have?
I’ve currently got it at 5 hours day (for the aquarium light). However ambient room lighting is on for much longer, would this affect the tank?

I’m just asking because I have read conflicting information over whether or not the tank should be covered or how wet it should be.

Here's a picture of the tank.

Thanks!

(I had started a thread in the Driftwood section with a question directly related to the fungus on my Bonsai. I figured I had some more newbie questions about my tank and the dry start method in general so I started this one in this more appropriate category.)

Attachments

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore, lovely ‘scaping there that tree is fabulous
Hope our planted members can help you with the carpet care today

Zka17

Reaction score
Take out the wood and cook it... - but you may be late with it... if you see the fungus, it's already everywhere. It is the problem with dry-starting, I could never do it.

But never had trouble planting MC and growing a carpet of it under water. You have to take apart the original bunch, as small pieces as you can, and plant them one by one. It will take a long time, but it will worth it!

You need to use small grain soil. I have experience with the ADA and Fluval ones, the trick is to have the soil under water for at least a day while frequently stirring the surface to release air bubbles - then your plants will stay in it. Do not use a lot of flow for the beginning, and also I would avoid bottom dwellers for couple weeks.

New Threads