First Aquarium EVER

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You buy walmart water and then run it through an RO/DI? What does that do for you that would be different than running tap through your RO/DI?
I make my own with tap, but I also buy the Walmart water. I was doing a lot of water changes and converting other tanks I had to RO. So the 10-15 gallons a day my maker was making wasn't keeping up for awhile. So I decided to buy the Walmart water.

My unit can keep up now, but I always like to keep 30g of Walmart RO on hand.

CrushtheTurtle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys definitely appreciate the responses! did have another quick question though

since imsetting up a 20gal FOWLR, i was curious if its possible to use LR or LS from a reef tank, since it would be nice to get some of this stuff from some local members of this sd aquarium forum ive been lurking arround, since it would probably be healthy, and help speed up the cycling and much lower cost than buying it from a store. Or would i ahve to treat the sand/rock somehow? thanks!

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey guys definitely appreciate the responses! did have another quick question though

since imsetting up a 20gal FOWLR, i was curious if its possible to use LR or LS from a reef tank, since it would be nice to get some of this stuff from some local members of this sd aquarium forum ive been lurking arround, since it would probably be healthy, and help speed up the cycling and much lower cost than buying it from a store. Or would i ahve to treat the sand/rock somehow? thanks!
If its from a running tank, I would just make sure there is no pests. If there are none, I just put it straight into my tank

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Coming from a reef tank should be no problem. The reverse could cause problems, though even those are unlikely. In a FOWLR tank there's a chance that the owner may have used medication in there that included copper. Copper kills invertebrates. If it is coming from a reef tank then they wouldn't have ever used copper in the water. I'm not even sure that the copper would remain on the rock if moved, but personally I wouldn't take the chance, having spent so much on corals. You should be fine.

CrushtheTurtle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright! getting more confident in starting this thing haha might go check out some LFS today n get some things, but was wondering what you guys thought about filtration. What do i need in terms of filters and things for a 20gal FOWLR? I've heard i can skip out on the protein skimmer for this small tank (although i've heard they have nano-skimmers? are these expensive?) Would a power filter and a powerhead be suitable/capable for my setup, and ifso, how powerful would they have to be? thanks! Also what is the purpose of a refugium..? thanks in advance!

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alright! getting more confident in starting this thing haha might go check out some LFS today n get some things, but was wondering what you guys thought about filtration. What do i need in terms of filters and things for a 20gal FOWLR? I've heard i can skip out on the protein skimmer for this small tank (although i've heard they have nano-skimmers? are these expensive?) Would a power filter and a powerhead be suitable/capable for my setup, and ifso, how powerful would they have to be? thanks! Also what is the purpose of a refugium..? thanks in advance!
For that size of a tank, a skimmer is unncesary, but I prefer one still. What do you mean nano skimmers? The biocube skimmers are cr*p. btw. I would go with like a HOB bak pak skimmer or reef octopus. Check out aquacave for skimmers.

A refugim is a refugee. Its a refugee for pods. So they could multiply. People also put macro algae in there which eats nutrients and provides shelter for pods. Most refugims has a deeb sand bed and rocks with macro algae

CrushtheTurtle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks ATP appreciate the clarification, how about turning a HOB filter into a fuge like suggested here, , have you had any experiences?

also when i said nano skimmer, meant somthing like the aquaC nano remora

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks ATP appreciate the clarification, how about turning a HOB filter into a fuge like suggested here, , have you had any experiences?

also when i said nano skimmer, meant somthing like the aquaC nano remora
aquac should be fine.

I've heard about changing HOBs into fuge, but never tried it. Was thinking about it when I was thinking about a nano, but never happened.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A friend of my had a well stocked 55 with no skimmer. Just a HOB type refugium and a HOB filter that was made for a 30. He had 80 pounds of live rock and that was it for filteration. The tank ran for years, with fish and coral before he sold me all the live stock and LR.

He had two powerheads rated for 1200gph for flow.

CrushtheTurtle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thats an interesting setup for the 55, but glad to hear it was a thriving tank! gives me hope haha, so I found a used nano remora for $65 but i heard it can be kind of loud..also a CPR hob bakpak for $40, ne recommendations? also what kind of chemical filtration would you guys recommend for a FOWLR tank?

also what you guys think about Hydor Koralia Nano for a powerhead at 240gph in a 20gal..too small? what if i had 2 of them? vs 1 400-600gph

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats an interesting setup for the 55, but glad to hear it was a thriving tank! gives me hope haha, so I found a used nano remora for $65 but i heard it can be kind of loud..also a CPR hob bakpak for $40, ne recommendations? also what kind of chemical filtration would you guys recommend for a FOWLR tank?

also what you guys think about Hydor Koralia Nano for a powerhead at 240gph in a 20gal..too small? what if i had 2 of them? vs 1 400-600gph
I've never had experience with either, but I've seen the bak pak in action and it looks really good

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom