First aquarium after some advice!

1. D

Davehughes New Member Member

Hi,

ive bought my first tank and after a bit of advice on a few things!!

im stuck doing a fish in cycle, bought the tank followed the intructions that came with it using the fluval cycle saying add fish immediately, so waited 48hrs thinking was being good before added any fish, then read about cycling a tank!! First mistake!!

ive had my tank running for 3 weeks with fish in, 1 betta from start and 3 mollies be in for 10 days
    Being doing regular water changes to keep ammonia levels down,(using conditioner and fluval cycle) highest was 1, currently at 0.25. No nitrites or nitrates as yet. Picture of tank below

1. First question, my friend has the same tank running for 3 months now, is it worth me using any media from his filter? I.e sponge or something else to speed up the cycle?

2. I have the fluval edge 46l what is a realistic amount of fish to keep in this tank? more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, but certainly don't push the tank past its limits!!

3. Would like some interesting bottom dwelling fish, looked at red clawed crabs, but bit of research seen this is a bad idea (despite shop saying different) thinking bristlenose pleco and maybe some shrimp? Any other suggestions or better ideas?

Thanks in in advance for any replies, Dave

2. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

First thing is Betta's should be kept in a tank by themselves. Since you've already started there is no reason now to add other media material assuming you are using TSS+.

You might try some shrimp with the betta but other than that you just don't have enough tank size to accommodate what you want.

Welcome to Fishlore and good luck!

3. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

It seems your tank is already overstocked I'm afraid (assuming the 46l is 46 liters which is about 12 gallons). Mollies need at least 30 gallons because they get quite large and have a very high bioload. I would suggest taking the mollies back to the store. Then I would leave the betta alone in the tank, but you could possibly put a nerite or mystery snail in there since it's a bit larger of a tank. If you want to have a peaceful tropical tank, you could rehome the betta as well (or get him/her a 2.5-5+ tank to himself/herself) and start up a little tropical tank with maybe some guppies :)

4. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks for the reply's! Seems like shop been goin doesn't give the best advice!! Have used tss, that's sort of stopped me in my tracks!!! Didn't think 4 fish in this tank size would be over stocked, guess should do more research before rather than listen to pet store!!

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FsihLore! I hope you enjoy it here

6. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

To coin a phrase that I certainly hope to make money from, Research is far better than Regret.
    Cheers to you, and believe me, after you get past thinking about it, Fish keeping will be second nature, instinctual, Best to ya, rick

7. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

Well you can have more than 4 fish in your aquarium, but it's just that the certain fish you picked are not suitable, but that's fine since similar things happen with most beginners and it's good that you're trying to fix it :) I think you could do a school of chili rasboras (or other small schooling fish, I don't really know some that are suitable off hand) and 2 male guppies (maybe 3 or 4). But make sure with the schoolers, you have 6 (or you could make it a species only and have potentially 8-12 chilis or other similar sized schooler). And make sure you get male guppies since if you don't, you will have lots of babies in a small amount of time. Of course this would only be the case of you rehomed/took back the mollies and betta.

Best of luck with your tank and feel free to post a picture of your tank when it's finished; we would love to see it! Also feel free to ask anymore questions you might have :)

8. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

Mollies are too poopy for your tank. You could get a snail sidekick for your betta though.

9. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Well.....you need a bigger tank. Suggest you do as suggested and use your current tank with a few small fish. Hopefully this will go well and you will want to grow your hobby. I like guppies. You could put 1/2 a doz or so males in there after your cycle is complete and have good tank.

When you are ready suggest a tank around 55 gal for your next tank. You can have a lot of different type of fish in a large tank like you want. Suggest you start watching for used tanks. Can get some really good deals. If you don't have room for a 55 gallon, suggest a 20 gallon long (longer tank that is shallower). That is what I had when first starting out. Ok for small fish, issues when they grow.

Welcome to the Hobby.

10. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I would probably max it at 4 for a 10G.

11. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks again for replies, will try take the mollies back to shop tomorrow! Noticed they started to fin nip at the betta today as well, before that they hadn't bothered which each at all!! Fed them and they seemed to stop!! May look at getting a separate tank for the betta, so can a few more smaller fish in current tank!!, just trying to find a cheaper setup for a betta as just splashed a bit of cash on this tank, any suggestion on a cheaper tank would be very appreciated!!! Thanks again

12. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Have a look on Gumtree or a fish facebook group in your area, they're often good places to find a bargain

13. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to assume Gumtree is like the Craigslist of England?

14. Coradee

yes, quite similar & often have plenty of bargains though sometimes they ask silly prices for used aquarium stuff.

15. OP
    OP
    D

Yeah had a look on gumtree and eBay local pickups, not too much on there at mo!! whats a realistic size should be looking at to house the betta on its own comfortably?

16. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

5 gallons, not sure what that is in liters.

EDIT: You can technically get away with 2.5 gallons that many of us do.

17. Coradee

What area of the UK are you in?

18. OP
    OP
    D

Northwest, Warrington!

19. Coradee

Ooh you're close to me!

20. OP
    OP
    D

Took the mollies back! Spoke to another member of staff who works there who knew what he was talking about!! Think I got the janitor or somet last time!! He agreed they we're a bad recommendation!! Plus they started fin nipping at the betta!! The sods!!!! This lad definitely seems to know more! So for plan b he recommended some gold minnows, was thinking

some minnows 4 or 5 maybe
    2 rams
    1 spotted pleco (think the right name, 1 that's doesn't grow to big)
    maybe some shrimp as well

thoughts? This over/under stocked or about right!!

Bettawill be rehomed just keeping eye out for a decent tank 2nd hand!!