First angelfish...is his organs falling out ???

Jadabear176

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
So I've never had angel fish before and I've had this one for about two weeks. He is a double black veiltail angelfish, freshwater of course. 29 gallon tall tank all by himself for now. There is a heater that is set to 80°. And it has a filter. his tank is not super heavily planted yet however it does have some plants in there and I am trying my hardest to get some more so I could give him a really nice planted tank.
Anyway, I check on him today after I get home from work at about 4:30, only to see that he seems to have long white stringy poop, that is staying connected to his body?? It is dangling from his body and it is long and very stringy! It's not all white, it's kind of like an off-white color. (I'll post some pics)

Is it his organs? Like did they fall out like how a snake can prolaspe ??? I'm so worried :eek::eek:
IMG_20191118_163915_MP.jpg

He is due for a water change today, and he has been eating everyday, a mix between flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and zucchini. (Witch, he doesn't like much!)

He eats really well and he's fairly active. There's no damage to his fins and his eyes are perfectly clear!
I went ahead and posted a photo with this so you can see.

When I looked it up it said something about a parasite ???

I really don't want it lose this fish this is my first 'real' fish besides a goldfish and some Betta fish! I love him so much and I don't know what to do to help him.

Any help is appreciated along with any tips and things like that

***Also, he comes from a reputable fish shop near my home. They take good care of all their fish, and if the fish was sick they would not have sold him to me, so I can't even blame it on sickness from bad aquarium or something:nailbiting:

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you positive that the feces is connected to the body? I never heard anything like it before.

Jadabear176

Reaction score
Crispii said:
Are you positive that the feces is connected to the body? I never heard anything like it before.
Absolutely psitive. It broke off now, and for a new minutes he has white strings coming out of his butt

Jadabear176

Reaction score
Crispii said:
Has he been eating lately and is he lethargic?
Yep! He's been eating just fine, we've just been feeding him an alternating things, but all things good for him. He isn't lethargic at all, swimming around and acting curious

Jadabear176

Reaction score
Brizburk said:
Maybe needs dewormed?
Would that be like a medicine you put in the water?
I was thinking probably a paracite or something and was planning on trying to find something to help with it

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Treat him with an internal antiparasitic if you're worried. If it broke off and nothing is hanging out of him, he's eating, acting normal and not bloated or skinny, it's probably just a variegated poop string because of what he has eaten recently. I feed my fish a varied diet too and their poop looks like a rainbow sometimes lol!

Jadabear176

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
Treat him with an internal antiparasitic if you're worried. If it broke off and nothing is hanging out of him, he's eating, acting normal and not bloated or skinny, it's probably just a variegated poop string because of what he has eaten recently. I feed my fish a varied diet too and their poop looks like a rainbow sometimes lol!
Okay that makes me feel a bit better.
I was so worried I'm doing something wrong with this fish

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First glance, it looks like a big poop. Maybe he was a little constipated.....

The strings hanging afterward could be intestinal tissue. It should heal up, I think he'll be fine.

You can do a dewormer if you want, but I wouldn't say it's a necessity here, I think it was just an extra large poop that he was having trouble releasing.

Jadabear176

Reaction score
So
angelcraze said:
First glance, it looks like a big poop. Maybe he was a little constipated.....

The strings hanging afterward could be intestinal tissue. It should heal up, I think he'll be fine.

You can do a dewormer if you want, but I wouldn't say it's a necessity here, I think it was just an extra large poop that he was having trouble releasing.
So should I feed him less then? I tried to feed him a pea since I heard that constipation in angelfish can be really serious since they're so small, but he didn't eat it

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jadabear176 said:
So

So should I feed him less then? I tried to feed him a pea since I heard that constipation in angelfish can be really serious since they're so small, but he didn't eat it
Not necessarily. Sometimes it's too much protein. If he'll eat frozen daphnia, that's a good food to feed contipated fish with its high water content. I even add Epsom Salts to the food to act as a laxative.

If you want directions for soaking in Esalts, let me know!

I would just add a veggie based pellet to his feeding regimen. Usually not needed for angelfish though since most good quality prepared fish foods will include some amount of vegetable or algae. But I have good success with Omega One veggie formula with kelp for my plecos. I still feed my fish Omega One veggie micro pellets in rotation.

Jadabear176

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
Beautiful Angelfish BTW!
angelcraze said:
Not necessarily. Sometimes it's too much protein. If he'll eat frozen daphnia, that's a good food to feed contipated fish with its high water content. I even add Epsom Salts to the food to act as a laxative.

If you want directions for soaking in Esalts, let me know!

I would just add a veggie based pellet to his feeding regimen. Usually not needed for angelfish though since most good quality prepared fish foods will include some amount of vegetable or algae. But I have good success with Omega One veggie formula with kelp for my plecos. I still feed my fish Omega One veggie micro pellets in rotation.
I love to know more about the Epsom salts! For sure.

I'll check out getting some frozen daphnia for him then.

I use tropical fish pellets now for him and he loves those things. I've also been giving him some fresh vegetables but he doesn't like them much I guess

Can't say I blame him

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Frozen daphnia is very tiny. My adult angels don't really eat it, but it is an alternative for peas against constipation. They try, but can't get enough. Don't know how big your angel is.....But honestly it looks like he passed the obstruction. The fact that it is off white just means he wasn't feeling well, or some foods will do that on occasion.

For the Esalts, I put a layer of good quality pellet in a shot glass. I take a solution of 3/4 tsp Esalt dissolved in 1/2 cup tank or distilled water and just saturate the pellets with a pipette. I let it soak in (no excess water) and feed. I try to feed the fish as directly as possible to not lose the Esalts in the water.

He will accept the veggie pellets better than fresh veggies. The prepared food use sea veggies (algae) over land veggies, which I believe is much better for even fish like plecos.

Also I switch up the pellet foods. I use Omega One, North Fin, New Life Spectrum and Fluval cichlid Bug Bites. Those are the best pellet and prepared foods I have found.

Jadabear176

Reaction score
angelcraze said:
Frozen daphnia is very tiny. My adult angels don't really eat it, but it is an alternative for peas against constipation. They try, but can't get enough. Don't know how big your angel is.....But honestly it looks like he passed the obstruction. The fact that it is off white just means he wasn't feeling well, or some foods will do that on occasion.

For the Esalts, I put a layer of good quality pellet in a shot glass. I take a solution of 3/4 tsp Esalt dissolved in 1/2 cup tank or distilled water and just saturate the pellets with a pipette. I let it soak in (no excess water) and feed. I try to feed the fish as directly as possible to not lose the Esalts in the water.

He will accept the veggie pellets better than fresh veggies. The prepared food use sea veggies (algae) over land veggies, which I believe is much better for even fish like plecos.

Also I switch up the pellet foods. I use Omega One, North Fin, New Life Spectrum and Fluval cichlid Bug Bites. Those are the best pellet and prepared foods I have found.
He's about 4 inches from the top of his top fin to the bottom of his bottom fin.
(As you can see in very good with fish atatomy)
Okay awesome I will give him pellets instead of normal veggies.
I really hope he's okay I feel like a bad fish owner.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jadabear176 said:
He's about 4 inches from the top of his top fin to the bottom of his bottom fin.
(As you can see in very good with fish atatomy)
Okay awesome I will give him pellets instead of normal veggies.
I really hope he's okay I feel like a bad fish owner.
No, don't feel bad. I think he is fine. Sometimes they eat too much and get constipated. Sounds like he passed it, just keep water fresh and clean and he'll be fine, nothing you did wrong necessarily. I feed my angels about 5 1mm pellets per feeding twice a day as a staple for a general guideline. I don't actually know how much they should be eating, but all my angels (20 adults currently) get about that amount on average.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom