First 65 Gallon Freshwater Tank

perrydaplatypus
Hey guys I have a 65 gallon aquarium and have an idea of the fish I'd like to put in it. I just want some advice if these fish are compatible together, if it might be too many or if I could possibly fit more. I plan on stocking a little at a time after my fishless cycle. Any tips on which to add first would be appreciated also.

2-blue gourami (prob opaline)
6-cory cats (not sure what kind yet)
6-guppy
10-barbs
10-tetras

Forgot to mention I plan on using fake plants and decorations

Rainbows and Fishes
I would just give you a heads up that in my experience opaline gourami’s and gouramis in general can be very aggressive, even to eachother especially if they’re the same sex. Other than that the only area where you might find trouble would be with the barbs nipping your guppies, having such a large school of them will really help limit aggression but endler guppies may be a better choice because they have less fins to nip and they’re faster.

Maybe an angel pair, serape tetras, runny nose tetras and swordtails are all beautiful options as well

perrydaplatypus
I would just give you a heads up that in my experience opaline gourami’s and gouramis in general can be very aggressive, even to eachother especially if they’re the same sex. Other than that the only area where you might find trouble would be with the barbs nipping your guppies, having such a large school of them will really help limit aggression but endler guppies may be a better choice because they have less fins to nip and they’re faster.

Maybe an angel pair, serape tetras, runny nose tetras and swordtails are all beautiful options as well
Thanks if I was to still try my current idea which ones would you say to put in first?

Hunter1
I would do the guppies first. And if you do barbs, I would go small with something like cherry barbs.

TexasDomer
What species of barb and tetra were you thinking? Not all barbs are aggressive (many aren't nippy at all).

The 2 opaline gouramis should be fine together in this sized tank, particularly if you don't get two males.

What species of cory were you getting? I'd get more; 10 or so of a single species would be fine in your tank

Rainbows and Fishes
Definitely do the opalines last and get them together otherwise they’ll become territorial and aggressive to the newcomers, I had one for a few months and he nearly killed my rainbowfish when I added them in I ended up having to remove him because he was non-stop harassing them

perrydaplatypus
What species of barb and tetra were you thinking? Not all barbs are aggressive (many aren't nippy at all).

The 2 opaline gouramis should be fine together in this sized tank, particularly if you don't get two males.

What species of cory were you getting? I'd get more; 10 or so of a single species would be fine in your tank
I'm not sure for Cory willing to take suggestions
I like tiger barbs looks, possibly cherry barbs, I like the neon tetra jumbo

TexasDomer
And is the tank 36" or 48" long?

perrydaplatypus
And is the tank 36" or 48" long?
18.4 in L x 36.4 in W x 25 in H

Definitely do the opalines last and get them together otherwise they’ll become territorial and aggressive to the newcomers, I had one for a few months and he nearly killed my rainbowfish when I added them in I ended up having to remove him because he was non-stop harassing them
Thanks so much sorry to hear about them almost killing the rainbows. Must not like leprechauns lol jk

TexasDomer
I'd avoid tiger barbs, as they may nip the feelers or the gourami. Neon tetra need cooler water than the gouramis, but you could go with cardinal tetra instead? They look very similar. You could do something like this:

2x Opaline gourami (M/F if you can, or two F)
8-10x Cories (just one species, like C. aeneus, C. splendens, and C. sterbai, as they're very temperature compatible)
6x Male guppies (to prevent breeding and health issues associated with giving birth; males are the pretty ones anyway!)
10x Cherry barbs
10x Cardinal tetra
Keep temps 77 - 79 F or so

perrydaplatypus
I'd avoid tiger barbs, as they may nip the feelers or the gourami. Neon tetra need cooler water than the gouramis, but you could go with cardinal tetra instead? They look very similar. You could do something like this:

8-10x Cories (just one species, like C. aeneus, C. splendens, and C. sterbai, as they're very temperature compatible)
6x Male guppies (to prevent breeding and health issues associated with giving birth; males are the pretty ones anyway!)
10x Cherry barbs
10x Cardinal tetra
Thanks so much brother

TexasDomer
I'm female, but happy to help

perrydaplatypus

10x Cherry barbs
10x Cardinal tetra
What do you think about switching out the barbs for something like enders livebearers

I'm female, but happy to help
Thanks sister lol my bad

TexasDomer
I would switch out the guppies for endlers if you wanted to do that, but as endlers are quite small, they may be bullied or intimidated by the opaline gouramis.

Hunter1
I agree with increasing the corys to 10-12. But i’m very fond of them and could keep 25 in a tank that size by themselves and be happy.

And agree that tiger barbs are to aggressive for the gouramis and possibly the guppies.

If you are eliminating the barbs, consider just increasing the tetras. Large schools are kool.

And if you don’t like Cardinals (I do), consider Von Rio Tetras (also called red tetra or flame tetra). They are very kool IMO and are good to 77 degrees.

Head and Tail lights are also kool but not sure of their temperature range.

TexasDomer
Von Rio tetras need cooler water, as 77 F is the max, and you don't want to keep fish at their max temp permanently:
Hyphessobrycon flammeus – Flame Tetra

Head and tail light tetra are temperature compatible with the gourami:

perrydaplatypus
Von Rio tetras need cooler water, as 77 F is the max, and you don't want to keep fish at their max temp permanently:
Hyphessobrycon flammeus – Flame Tetra

Head and tail light tetra are temperature compatible with the gourami:
Thanks alot

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jrsyhomegrown87
Replies
Views
Johnfish
Replies
Views