firemouth??

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

My neighbor bought this at Petsmart yesterday and he thinks it is either a convict or firemouth.

Attached Files:

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely a convict. :)

3. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Yup, its a convict for sure :)

4. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the id. i will let him know.

5. pepetj Well Known Member Member

Sorry to disagree on this one. This looks like a stresseed Firmouth cichlid sub-adult, likely a female.

Notice the shape of the head and the dark blotched spots. The red coloration is visible in the body and fins.

I would suggest to your neighbor to feed with Spirulina and Cichlid food, to take good care of the tank. Firemouth are quite peaceful Cichlids.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks to me like the shape of the head is off because the fish is thin. I still think convict, but regardless of what it is, it's stressed and needs a quality diet to fatten it up a little. ;)

7. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

The shape of the head is throwing me off....It looks to have a Firemouth head, but a Con coloration

8. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

he has it alone in a cycled tank and is feeding it Aqueon cichlid flakes and pellets.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

IMO its a firemouth ...

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I have to disagree too... He has a convict-like body... but like amanda his head is throwing me off...

He kinda reminds me of BB's karma when she was little... with the head shape and everything... :;dk

Honduran Red Point? :;dk

11. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

he has it in a 75 gal. with this. (the picture was blurry and messed up so I did my best to make it viewable)

Attached Files:

12. platy ben Well Known Member Member

The second fish is definitly a female convict and in my opinion the first pic is too :)

13. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Alright, it deffinately looks more like a convict now...maybe she was way too stressed LOL

14. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

the second pic is what is in the tank with the original fish. he has no ID on either fish.

15. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I say they are both female convicts :)

16. Nick G Well Known Member Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree with both Firemouth and Convict. I think it's a young Flowerhorn. But the second fish is definatly a Con.

17. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

but they both have long pointed dorsal and anal fins and the second is not showing orange on its belly.

18. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

agreed! i didnt notice the tail before! it looks like a male.... are they the same fish though?
    :;dk

19. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

no they are not the same fish...they are sharing the same tank though.

20. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Two different fish Tony.......

Second one looks like a male con to me also.

Brian