Firemouth With Angelfish?? Gouramis?

spartanfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am setting up a 55-gallon tank. I know for sure I will have two large-ish angels that have outgrown my 29-gallon setup. I wanted to put a severum in the 55 with them, but I was depressed to find out I should avoid severums since I want to also have live plants in this tank (amazon sword, jungle val and maybe anubias), and severums apparently destroy plants. Sigh.

Now I'm hoping it will be ok to get a single small firemouth and let it grow up with the angels. Do you think that would be ok? I figure there's plenty of room in a 55.

On another note, I once had a single pearl gourami in with the angels and he straight up terrorized them to the point I had to remove him and donate him to the LFS. I have since been told that gourami are much more docile if you keep them in at least a pair - that they will generally focus on each other and ignore other species. I am still quite leery of this. If I pulled the trigger, it would be a pair of moonlights, snakeskins or pearls.

What are your thoughts?

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think the firemouth would work for very long. moonlite gouramis are the mellowest of the ones you mentioned.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom