Firemouth sex confusing

1. jfran

jfran Valued Member Member

So my largest Firemouth (2.5") has recently grown a long wisp from his/her dorsal which suggests he is actually a male. However, he has a red throat but the red does not extend to his belly, and in general there is little red, which suggests female. However, he is super sparkly blue which suggests male. Can anyone help? Will get picture when I can.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

May be easier for us to tell if you post a picture of him/her

3. OP
    OP
    jfran

Pictures: ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467585359.524882.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467585397.445464.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467585417.731102.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    jfran

Another: ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467585669.352695.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    jfran

Finally the best: ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467585839.578649.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467585857.072132.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467585875.496584.jpg

6. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Looks male to me. A lot of aquarium strains are really lacking in color.

7. OP
    OP
    jfran

Are there ways to buy just females?

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks unsexed to me. This species is very hard to sex, as females can get filaments just as long as the males, and the amount of red is not sex related. It is more a matter of watching behavior and looking at the abdominal profile when the fish is in good condition.

There are a number of low grade strains out there with little red color. I really would suggest looking for good color when buying Firemouths, as they usually show how much color they're going to have from a small size, around 2 inches.

9. OP
    OP
    jfran

If I were to want to try my hand at breeding, how would I go about finding a male and female?

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

You get six of them and raise them up. Observe the way they behave toward one another. When two seem to be together against the rest, they are likely a pair.

11. OP
    OP
    jfran

That's what I did with five, in fact two of them seem against the rest but don't really act nice to each other either and I thought they both could be males. I don't think they are a pair. I think I got unlucky and out of my five juvies I couldn't get a pair. But I will continue to observe