Firemouth Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettaguy17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Im just gonna skip to the point, this is urgent. So i bought a firemouth yesterday and put him in a 10 gallon (for now) and it is cycled and has been for a year now, but, ever since he got in the tank, hes been hiding WITH the rock (not in it, but literally against it) and as soon as i move the rock, he finds another rock, and he barley comes out when i feed him, BUT, he is significantly more active today than he was last night, so can you guys help me? Thanks

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HiI need you to answer a few questions first.How long do you plan to keep the firemouth in the 10 gallon?Do you notice any odd things about his color or any type of parasite on him?Is he staying in the same spot or rubbing against the rock?I have known fish that have a type of parasite on them and will actually rub their sides on the rocks.

OP
B

Bettaguy17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
about 2 months, and hes just on the bottom (still uprigt) not scratching against anything...

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is he with other fish? If so, It could be that the other fish are bullying him and he's just trying to hide. Is the tank at a spot where its quite and people rarely come around there? Are the water lvls correct?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
firemouths are shy fish when alone IMO ...he needs more buddies of his own kind...how have you kept the tank cycled and what other fish are with him?

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If he is with other fish in the 10 gallon than there's a good chance that that's the problem.He is either getting bullied or there is not enough room and he is stressed.That type of fish needs to be kept in at least a 30 gallon aquarium.If you can I would try to get him into a bigger aquarium in less than 2 months.If you can in the future,try to get 1 or 2 more firemouths to be with the one you have now.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bettaguy17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, he is alone, he is about 1.5 inches, and now he has stopped hiding, but is still on the ground under a plant (still uprigt ) it's in my room, and theres barley any traffic there...

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh he's just a baby, he's definately fine in that 10 for now. You should pick up a few more if you have the tank space for them as an adult.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, he is alone, he is about 1.5 inches ...
Oh he's just a baby, he's definately fine in that 10 for now. You should pick up a few more if you have the tank space for them as an adult.

Just a note. I agree being only 1.5" the fish is fine in a ten, I would also up the number if you have the room in another tank for quite a few reasons some of which are in recent posts.

However I wouldn't call a 1.5" T. Meeki a baby, while they will get 5-6" (some a bit bigger but around there is the norm) around 1.5-1.75" they become sexually mature.

The easiest way to bring out any shy cichlid is with others of the same type and or dithers, If you have the room.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom