Firemouth compatibility

Pridedcloth3

Member
I just purchased a Firemouth (pending pickup) from my Lfs and was wondering about comparability. Now in my 125 I have a copper oscar, 2 Jack dempseys, and a BP. All maybe around 5 months old with a few good inches on them. The firemouth looks fully grown and while I have a separate tank setup cycled and ready to go I would rather it go within the other cichlids. They all loom too big to fit in the mouth of the firemouth but it's definitively bigger than the rest. Would this work out? And I have plans on moving all fish to other tanks when they need it so stocking isn't a issue.
 

Redshark1

Member
I don't keep these fish and can only comment from the outside, but I would have thought it self-evident that five territorial fish in one territory could result in some territorial behaviour.
 

A201

Member
Firemouths are more bark than bite and pose no threat to the listed tankmates.
Firemouths do better in groups. Their aggression is usually limited to flaring at each other.
The Firemouth will eventually be the low fish on the food chain in your current community.
 
  • Thread Starter

Pridedcloth3

Member
Redshark1 said:
I don't keep these fish and can only comment from the outside, but I would have thought it self-evident that five territorial fish in one territory could result in some territorial behaviour.
The others have been brought up together and really the low fish is a JD the BP usually protects it from the dominant one. None have physically done any damage to the other. The only problem I've ever had was the red devil I had constantly attacking the oscar at night. It's in a tank on its own and has calmed a lot. Again if need be I have a tank ready to go.

A201 said:
Firemouths are more bark than bite and pose no threat to the listed tankmates.
Firemouths do better in groups. Their aggression is usually limited to flaring at each other.
The Firemouth will eventually be the low fish on the food chain in your current community.
This one in particular was surrendered and due to its size has been alone for a month with no one taking him but with a 50 dollar price tag compared to the smaller ones at 10 bucks I can see why lol. I read that aggression was really only a issue with a mating pair and since coming across another that size isn't a everyday thing I figured that after the 24hr chaser my oscar does it'll be better off so long as it doesn't decide everyone has to die. But it's not off the table to get it a mate assuming I find one comparable in size.
 

FitSoldier

Member
I'm not gonna say it would be okay because Cichlid tanks are an ever-changing playground. But I can tell you that I have kept a 2.5" Cichlid with my 6"-8" Cichlids before with no problems. The little guy posed no threat to the bigger fish so they left him alone. Just provide lots of rocks and driftwood to break up line of sight. From my experience, adding similar sized fish (i.e. large fish with large fish) usually triggers aggression as the new fish is a potential threat to the established hierarchy.
 
  • Thread Starter

Pridedcloth3

Member
FitSoldier said:
I'm not gonna say it would be okay because Cichlid tanks are an ever-changing playground. But I can tell you that I have kept a 2.5" Cichlid with my 6"-8" Cichlids before with no problems. The little guy posed no threat to the bigger fish so they left him alone. Just provide lots of rocks and driftwood to break up line of sight. From my experience, adding similar sized fish (i.e. large fish with large fish) usually triggers aggression as the new fish is a potential threat to the established hierarchy.
Well I'll let you know hope it goes because there's definitely going to be a hierarchy issue with a larger fish going in. Right now the BP is at the top and the others usually play nice until somebody riles things up and big daddy shuts down the show. I guess I mainly wanted to know if it'd be ok long enough to see if they can live together or if placing then in the same tank would lead to a blood bath on the first night.
 

FitSoldier

Member
Pridedcloth3 said:
Well I'll let you know hope it goes because there's definitely going to be a hierarchy issue with a larger fish going in. Right now the BP is at the top and the others usually play nice until somebody riles things up and big daddy shuts down the show. I guess I mainly wanted to know if it'd be ok long enough to see if they can live together or if placing then in the same tank would lead to a blood bath on the first night.
I'm actually curious about this too (adding a large fish to a hierarchy of smaller fish). Usually for my experience it's the reverse (I always add smaller fish into a tank with larger fish). As long as you have plenty of rocks/decor to break up line of sight, I think your smaller fish should be fine.

I recently added a 6" Tiger Oscar to my tank and my Jaguar and Jack Dempsey beat him up pretty bad. But he's a tough guy. He'll make it.
 
  • Thread Starter

Pridedcloth3

Member
I've got plenty of rocks and such, if you look at it it's more of a African cichlid setup with American cichlids. But for sure I'll let you know the outcome. If not tomorrow Monday for sure so long as it remains healthy (I trust my Lfs because they have a strict no selling sick fish rule) it'll be skipping there quarantine tank and going in. Wish me luck.

FitSoldier said:
I'm actually curious about this too (adding a large fish to a hierarchy of smaller fish). Usually for my experience it's the reverse (I always add smaller fish into a tank with larger fish). As long as you have plenty of rocks/decor to break up line of sight, I think your smaller fish should be fine.

I recently added a 6" Tiger Oscar to my tank and my Jaguar and Jack Dempsey beat him up pretty bad. But he's a tough guy. He'll make it.
Ok, 6 inch firemouth with JD, bp, and oscar all around 3 inches. Initially the oscar and BP had a standoff with the firemouth when it decided the BP hideout was there only place big enough for it. Lasted for all of 30 seconds and the grounds seem level. Tomorrow is water chamber day I usually do around 50%. Because of the bio load but might do 25-30 this time and see if this peace treaty lasts.
 

FitSoldier

Member
First day doesn't really mean much. Once the new Firemouth settles and gets used to the new environment, that's when the fun begins. Shouldn't have any problems, in my opinion. It's just for me, my fish one day work out fine. Months later, one of my fish can suddenly kill other fish. For no reason!
 
  • Thread Starter

Pridedcloth3

Member
Like that red devil two weeks later the oscar looked like he'd been through a pencil sharpener lol. He healed pretty good though.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom