Firemouth Cichlids???

1. d

dre205 New Member Member

Hey all

I have my 55 gallon tank ready to be stoked again with more fish. I did all of the test and everything is 0, nitrates, ammonia, etc. The PH in the tank is 7.0 even. I was thinking of adding 4 firemouths for my tank. I had 2 before and 1 of them disappeared and the other died of ick. My tank inhabitiants are:
    1 Senegal Bichir
    2 Banded Leporinus
    2 Brown African Knifes
    1 Striped Raphael Cat

Will this setup work? I was also thinking rainbow fish. Here is a pic

Attached Files:

2. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

If your tank is ready, your readings should be ammonia and nitrite 0, and there should be a reading of higher than 0 for nitrates. What test kit are you using?

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree you should have some nitrates as you are not heavily planted ...what test kit are you using? and I would say no to the firemouths as they are not agressive enough with the fish you have in there..as well as you are maxed out with the bichir who can get up to 2 feet...your Banded Leporinus can get to a foot, as well as your knife fish..you dont have room for the fish you have unfortunately :(

4. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

My tank isnt planted. Artificial my friends

5. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well thats even more reason to have nitrates. All cycled tanks will likely have nitrates in even if you TRY to get rid of them.

6. Shawnie

thats why we said you should have some nitrates for a complete cycled tank ;) what test kit are you using?

7. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

Its a master test kit it test for everything but wen i did the test for nitrates if came out zero. Is that a bad thing?

8. Shawnie

your tank isnt cycled without nitrates.....but with the stock you have, im surprised you have no nitrates...its severely overstocked.....your info says its 3 years old....are the fish new ? whats the lot numbers on the bottles in your test kit?(top right hand corner of each bottle)

9. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

Oh i see what i did wrong. i meant nitrites not nitrates. my tank isnt over stocked none of the fish are close to full grown. trust me i will upgrade to a bigger tank when they get close to full grown. I know what im doing, i research evry fish before i buy it

10. Shawnie

so do you have nitrates? you said everything was 0's..if you have nitrates, thats good!!! :happy0034:....you will need at least a 500g tank or more for the fish you have...and even if they are small, they can be stunted which can cause death and major malformations....not to mention its going to be very hard to keep the ammonia down with their bioload....its not fun ive been there but your fish will not survive long in a 55g tank :( good luck either way tho!!!

11. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

yea i under stand i might just release them into my pond when they get to big for me to handle and my pond is not a koi pond either my master kit didnt come with a nitrate tester i will have to invest in one...