Firemouth Cichlid

1. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Anybody have a firemouth? Bought a 40b that I set up for my blood parrot, and on the way home found a 30g with stand for free.. needless to say I set up two tanks today and tore down my 30 hex for equiptment in the 40b.

Anywho, Whilst I cycle I wanted to know opinions on them? I've heard people keeping them in 30g tanks, I've heard 55g minimum too.. both Live Aquaria and Fishlore say 30g minimum?
    Any recommendations for a filter? I've heard they like slow currents and warmer temps (76-84).

What can they be kept with (if anything?) Are they always aggressive or just while breeding?

I like the fish profiles off of a website. But it's so much more comforting to hear from people who actually keep them.

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Beautiful but painfully shy. Mine I got rid of after a few spawns because of how boring they are. They spend much of the day in caves, so larger dither fish are a must. I kept my tank at 79, then raised to 82 for a week and then lowered significantly with a water change to induce spawning.

A 30 gallon is sufficient. They rarely reach over 5.5 inches. I've personally never seen one over 6.

They have small mouths so stocking is not really an issue -- I kept mine with larger cory species before I established my pair.

3. OP
    OP
    Castiel*

Would a pair of them work with a highly planted tank and a school of Buenos Aires Tetra?

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Yes, shouldn't be an issue. They do like to dig though so I only kept hardy plants like swords/anubias/ferns with them.

5. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

IMO a 40g Long would be the bare minimum for a pair of firemouths.

If you wanted to keep other tank mates like dithers ect I would go for a 55g.

6. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Buenos Hairies like cool temps.

7. OP
    OP
    Castiel*

From what I've heard/been told is they are fairly hardy and can tolerate a decent temperature range, 65-84 degrees if I'm not mistaken. The firemouth would require higher 70s to mid 80s. So keeping the tank at 80 I figured would be fine.

8. BlueSubmarine

BlueSubmarine Valued Member Member

I have two firemouths and after owning several cichlids I have to say they are my favorite.

Few things now. Like many cichlids they all have unique personalities. while being semi aggressive, they are more on the peaceful side. You have to be careful with how you setup your tank and what type of tank-mates you have with them.

You have to have at least two or three zones in one tank for them to claim. Anything less than 55 gallons will limit what you can keep with them. You can do a matched pair in a 30 or 40 but that's about it. They will breed and that display in is really interesting.

However if they start spawning and you have any other fish in there, they will kill it. Almost guaranteed.

Temp wise they do tolerate a wide range. Cooler temps make them mellower while higher temps make them eat more and induces spawning.

I keep mine with a bn pleco and a female convict in a 55 gal.

But again, the most important thing is to have multiple zones for them to claim and retrieve.

9. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Beautiful fish, 35bb9e9b237b53d031f799164ea20779.jpg 0efdec66696768b1efd7ea03eb7d4a13.jpg taking long to grow.. even slower than a severum, ive put them in the 120 temporarily but my 55 is for them.

10. BlueSubmarine

BlueSubmarine Valued Member Member

They look awesome!^^

And completely agree, they are slow growers. That is something that took me by surprise.

Mine are at about 9 months or so now. And still not completely grown. They get along great with the convict (right).

Attached Files: