Firemouth behaviour

JMSydney

I have two large firemouths that have been keeping for some time together in a medium-sized aquarium. Most of the time they have coexisted well, however, they recently began displaying mating behaviour and one of the fish appears to be bullied by the other. The fish has spent the past few days wedged between a plant and the glass with its head facing upward. I am sure it is not getting enough food because of this, and whenever it tries to feed it gets chased back into hiding.

I have a second larger aquarium in which I have two well-established larger blue acara. I have been considering placing one (or both?) of the firemouths into this aquarium to see if the situation changes between them given more space. I do not, however, want to cause another problem by introducing the firemouths into the blue acaras environment.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Leave the situation as is and hope for the best?
Transfer the bully into the acara tank and let the other recover on its own?
Place both firemouths into the blue acara tank?

SixThreeOh

Tank sizes?

A201

I don't know the sizes of your tanks, but Firemouths do better in groups of at least four or five. They develope a heirarchy. Usually the worst they will do to each other is " Flare up". In a small area two males might actually fight to the death. I'd separate them until you can add to the group.

JMSydney

The blue acara tank is about 60 gallons. The firemouth tank is about half that size. I am going to assume that the firemouths are over-cramped regarding territory. I will remove the bully from the other and place it in the larger aquarium and see how it goes for the time being.

JMSydney

I transferred the troublesome firemouth into the larger aquarium with the blue acaras and they are getting along splendidly ... no problems whatsoever at this point. The bullied fish now has a tank to itself for the time being, and can hopefully recover from its minor injuries.

MedicMike

My Firemouths and Acaras are happy together, 2 FM and 4 BA.

CichlidJynx

I had let my male choose his female so he’s always been showing breed behaviors but he does chase her around every now and again but always eases off after a little chase. As long as he’s not beating her down I’d say it’s normal. If you feel up to it you could rearrange the tank so territories are all new
80E91378-7DC7-40FF-A296-40C7D9B1BB3C.jpeg

A3D3C334-826D-444C-98A8-4BD7E7B86BDE.jpeg

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom