Firefish Died Unexpectedly?!

Sierra s.

My firefish died today. I thought maybe something was off but I checked the salinity,ph,nitrate,nitrite and ammonia and everything was fine! What could have caused him to die??
I've read that if the salinity was a little above than normal that it is ok. It was on 36ppt and I read it should be 32-35 and if a little over it should be ok.
Could this be why?

PoorBigBlue

36ppt is a bit high, but not enough to cause issues. Some people keep their tanks at 36ppt without issues, and I'd say fish would be the last things to die from that.

Did you notice anything out of the ordinary? A lumpy stomach, flashing, or abnormal behavior?

Jesterrace

With firefish there are so many things that can lead to death

1) They are the most easily bullied fish on the planet due to their bright colors and ultra-cowardly nature and another fish could be bullying it and stressing it out
2) They are well known jumpers and if it hit the lid hard enough it could be enough to injure or kill it
3) As mentioned all fish are subject to various parasites/diseases and not all of them are visible to the naked eye (see list of symptoms in the previous post)

Sierra s.

PoorBigBlue said:
36ppt is a bit high, but not enough to cause issues. Some people keep their tanks at 36ppt without issues, and I'd say fish would be the last things to die from that.

Did you notice anything out of the ordinary? A lumpy stomach, flashing, or abnormal behavior?
No nothing abnormal and he seemed perfectly fine that morning.

PoorBigBlue

Jesterrace made some good points.

Firefish are dartfish - they dart around when frightened. He could have jump and hit the lid, or simply ran into a wall or a rock and died from that.

Do you have other fish? At this point, that's kinda the important part. If there's nothing abnormal, just watch your fish for the next month or so before you try adding anything else.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom