Fire Red Apistos

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Ste, Apr 25, 2017.

1. S

Ste Valued Member Member

Ive just recently got in keeping apistos ad still havent know much on their behaviour/sex difference. I know that the females have shorter n less coloration.. but my female sseems to have a little hump on her head.. are the females like that or thats a young male..

Attached Files:

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

Wish i could help ^^;

I have apistos too but i cant sex them..

Wait- wich species of apistos?
    Are they adults?

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Not a sexual indicator. That bump is some sort of tumor or growth. Could be some sort of parasite, too. I'm not a fish health expert, but I would expect it to eventually be fatal, given the location.

4. OP
    OP
    S

Ste Valued Member Member

But is it a female?? And it seems to swim fine and eat a lot of tubifex worm that i gave it

5. OP
    OP
    S

Ste Valued Member Member

But which of the pair makes a bubble nest?? Bc iv found some bubbles inside the cave that i gave them, and the "female" is below it.. so i assume its a female??

6. chromedome52

Looks female to me. But Apistos do not make bubble nests. No idea where your bubbles came from.

7. OP
    OP
    S

Ste Valued Member Member

Is that really a tumour based on your experience?? Bc if it is i'll remove her and buy a new one, if i find one that is.. but should i get another female or wait to see if it gets better??

8. OP
    OP
    S

Ste Valued Member Member

U were right.. the tumor / parasite shifted from between the eyes to the eye. Now the eye seems bloated.. medicate it or not??

9. chromedome52

My cure for fish disease is a big garbage can. I'd suggest that you post over in the Fish Disease subforum, perhaps someone will have an idea over there.

10. OP
    OP
    S

Ste Valued Member Member

Ok
    Thx

11. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with the posts above - that is a tumour or birth defect.
    Apistos are not the easiest fish to keep. If you can't sex them, don't know the species and think there may be bubble nests involved, you need to get yourself out of the "impending failure zone". I would suggest an hour or two on google, finding articles on this large group of very different fish, and checking photos and info on how to keep them.
    They are not the best choice for new aquarists, but if you arm yourself with basic information, they can be rewarding to keep. With fish like these, a little research and preparation goes a long way. Time invested now will pay off very soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice