Fire Mouths

April Shannon

Why are they shy?

How do u tell male from female?

Bry

How big is the tank? How long have you had them?
Cichlids tend to be shy until they claI'm their spots. From the look it doesn't seem they have a place to hide to make them feel more comfortable either. Also, babies tend to hide a bit more just for survival reasons.

Bry

If you could get some pics closer up to each of them, I'm fairly confident I could sex them. I've had many cichlids in my time lol

April Shannon

Its a 29 gal and there is grass plants and slate rocks for them to hide under

April Shannon

Bry said:
If you could get some pics closer up to each of them, I'm fairly confident I could sex them. I've had many cichlids in my time lol
They were just moved to this 29 gal tank and the6 can get under the slate rocks

April Shannon

April Shannon said:
Why are they shy?

How do u tell male from female?
We were told the one with red belly are females.

AquaticJ

I'm not seeing any adequate hiding spots. Also, they're going to outgrow the tank. The males have brighter colors, get larger, and is especially more red under the mouth/throat area. They told you opposite information.

April Shannon

AquaticJ said:
I'm not seeing any adequate hiding spots. Also, they're going to outgrow the tank. The males have brighter colors, get larger, and is especially more red under the mouth/throat area. They told you opposite information.
They can hide and are getting use to tank now come.out more now..

April Shannon

We have had them for a while they were in the 55 gal tank with other cichlid and Oscar it was getting crowed so we moved them here

Bry

Another way to sex them is look at the top fin. If it ends more pointy it's usually male, while females are usually rounder.
Fire mouths like caves as well

April Shannon

Bry said:
Another way to sex them is look at the top fin. If it ends more pointy it's usually male, while females are usually rounder.
Fire mouths like caves as well
They can hide just fine

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom