Fire Fish

offminded
HI all,

Does anyone have any experience with fire fish? I recently bought three of them and I was wondering if anyone had any insight or advice? thanks!

sgould
I have a purple fire fish we call "Beaker", because of his resemblence to the old Muppets character.

They tend to be slightly skittish, and need to have a "bolt hole" to escape to when they feel threatened. This can be important with 3 in a tank because, while they are peaceful fish, they can get a little aggressive with each other if they do not each have their own little hole to hide in. Be sure you have some stacked rockwork that provides enough hiding places for each to find a place to call home.

The only other thing that comes immediately to mind is that mine, while fast when he wants to be, does not compete particularly well for food. I am not sure if it is something about the shape of the body, positioning of the eyes, or what, but it seems that his tank mates are always 1 step ahead of him on getting food. Just watch as you feed to be sure they are getting a share. If not, either adjust the amount you are putting in or put food in at 2 different locations in the tank at the same time.

offminded
great...thanks for the advice. unfortunately I found out the hard way that they each need their own little nook in the rock. one of them was beaten up and being devoured by my hermit crabs...frustrating that I didn't give them enough space...live and learn I guess. but I am enjoying the two that are left and seem to be content.

sgould
Bummer...sorry to hear that. They are fun little fish, so I hope all goes well with the other two.

offminded
I hope so...the test will be if they're both alive and kicking when I get home from work

offminded
good news...the fire fish made it through the day and appear to be quite content!

offminded
I'm ready to to whoop some...

ok...i'm officially ****ed off!! not more than an hour after my last post I find the second of my three fire fish is just about dead!! I found him flopping around with a big chunk of flesh missing from his under belly along with a missing fin!! this is ridiculous!! does anyone have any ideas?? I suppose the third will be dead tomorrow...unless he is the culprit!

offminded
I apologize for the language...didn't realize PO'd was considered in appropriate

sgould
What else is in the tank beside the firefish? I think you have 1 ocellaris if memory serves...anything else?

Narcicius
Sorry for your loss, but you might want to separate whatever else is in the tank from the last fire fish.

offminded

Similar Aquarium Threads

• KristenLD
  • Heater
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
Aqualover
  • Dewclaw83
  • Barbs