Fire Belly Toads?

AshWolFF

Well Known
So I am cycling a tank in secret right now for my s-mother's 51th B-day.

I hunted around some stickies for these toads/frogs but I just couldn't find any though I ran into some users who have kept/keeping these frogs.

I was going to purchase an Electric Blue Crayfish BUT unfortunately my store said that they have trouble getting them from their seller's to Japan and their asking a ridiculous price which I just cannot do. (30 US currency ). AND if you add that with a 15 dollar heater its just going to turn into something too expensive. (A little on the budget here). Though after seeing some frog owners on here I hunted around the LFS and found some Toads priced at 4.00 (Us currency)

I have large pea gravel in the tank and recently made it semi-aquatic by piling up the gravel on one side and reducing the water level to about half. The tank, 10gal, which I got for a good price. It didn't come with a heater just a in-tank filter and a hoodlamp.

Now I am piling up some rocks around the in-tank filter to create a natural waterfall and I have some non-toxic moss I'll throw on there as well.

Anyone have any tips for caring? I need to do some research.

monkeypie102

Well Known
Oh so much fun! Mine were awesome when we had a pair a few years back! They liked crickets, earthworms, feeder fish, and ghost shrimp :) (try to guy load everything and dust the crickets with calcium powder...

Their water should be about 75*f (its what we kept ours at) with a heat lamp for basking, our temp was around 80ish... you got the semi-aquatic land scaping done from what I read... try adding live plants like broms above ground (not sure about semi-aquatic plats but you're smart I am sure you have some good ideas :) ) in the water I would avoid hornwort though because its suppose to be pousionus if eaten and when hunting the frog won't pat attention to what it eats...

I honestly have no clue what else you could do as I haven't had these guys in a long time.. hopefully someine else will chime in with better insight!

FishieFishie

I have been keeping FBTs for years. Water at room temperature is fine. They don't need a heater or a heat lamp. They are one of the easiest pets to keep IMO. As long as you don't mind live feeder insects/worms you will get years of enjoyment. Just make sure you have a secure lid on your tank. They will escape if given the chance.

Attachments

FishieFishie

I can't figuire out how to edit on the Tap2Talk app. I have kept them both more terrestrial and more aquatic. If you do a terrestrial setup, you will need to change their water everyday. Pictures of my setups follow. 1st 2 are 29 gallon.Last 1 is my current 10 gallon.

Attachments

OP
AshWolFF

AshWolFF

Well Known
The 10 gal comes with the regular hood-lamp. We have feeder crickets just down the straight, a walk away, at a little pet store which I visit for dog food...they don't sell fish sadly. I already have blackworms, bloodworms, and others for my turtle.

@fishiefishie your tanks are beautiful!

Does 3 sound okay for the 10g? I think the frogs are a great idea because the ones I saw at the LFS's were croaking up a storm, they also were a nice bright color.

FishieFishie

3 would work in a 10 gallon, no problem. The males are the ones that croak. Females do not. I want pictures! og6og2og3og1

New Threads