Fire Belly Newts

MaximumRide14

Well Known
I’ve tried to look up basic care, and I believe I run into a few problems. First of all, pH in my tanks seem to stay around 8.0-8.2. Another problem is that water temp now without a heater is 70-72, but can get up to 82 in the summer. Also, what substrate would be needed, and how should I go about creating a land based part in the tank so they can be above water? Also, would two fit in a ten gallon? They live like 10-15 years, correct? I’m assuming I would need to cycle the tank.
Sorry for all the questions. A family member really wants one or two, but I’m the only one with fish knowledge even though that can’t really be applied to salamanders

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
I used to live in Washington state and would routinely catch them in a small pond while fishing. That water froze some winters and got bathtub warm some summers. I think they do well in a variety of of temperatures. I'm pretty sure that water was really low ph though.

With the size that would normally take our bait I don't think I would put more than 1 in a 10 gallon. They were usually 4 to 5 inches long.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Wraithen said:
I used to live in Washington state and would routinely catch them in a small pond while fishing. That water froze some winters and got bathtub warm some summers. I think they do well in a variety of of temperatures. I'm pretty sure that water was really low ph though.

With the size that would normally take our bait I don't think I would put more than 1 in a 10 gallon. They were usually 4 to 5 inches long.
Thanks! Maybe we can figure something out for the pH

New Threads