Fire bellied toads

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by dragonflygirl, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dragonflygirlNew MemberMember

Does anybody know anything about fire bellied toads? please i need alot of information.

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I used to keep them. They are the most aquatic of all toads. So they need a set up with lots of water. They also need some "land" to rest on though. they will spend hours floating in the water. I didn't find this fact anywhere, but I believe they should be kept with at least one friend since they are very social in the wild. They are fed live crickets or mealworms--I recommend having a separate small feeding cage so you don't get drowned crickets floating everywhere. I always felt a bit sorry for the crickets, but on the other hand it was really cool to see how they hunted. They need to be fed every few days, and I think about twice a week my toads would eat around half a dozen crickets or 2-3 mealworms. Let's see...it is recommended that you don't handle Fire Bellies due to their sensitive skin. And their cages tend to get really smelly even after just a week. In other words, they need frequent cleaning. A lot of work, but really cool. Do an internet search, you should come up with a lot of info. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice