Fins Ripped?

OneMom

Reaction score
HI All:

Two days ago I noticed that Angel had a hole in the middle of her tail fin. It looked ripped - you could actually see the piece of fin hanging from the corner of her tail. When I checked her this morning I found that the thin fin on her stomach had almost split into two pieces. She doesn't have any type of fungus showing on her body. Her fins aren't discolored either. They just seem to be torn.

I checked the chemicals in her 10 gallon tank & they are fine. This is especially ironic because her tank's cloudiness FINALLY cleared this week. (I had complained about that in a previous post.)

She has been eating & active. I don't see anything in her tank that is sharp. Is this some type of finrot?

Thank You!!

Wendy

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
It does sound like finrot, especially if he has a hole in his fin. I would begin treating with something mild at first, like BettaFix and see how it goes. If it gets worse go for something stronger like Maracyn 2 or some sort of antibiotic.
My females have torn fins and the ones with the milder cases are being treated with BettaFix. One fish had a torn tail and a few days on BettaFix and it's already mended. The more severe cases are getting Maracyn 2.
Every tear should be treated to help it heal normally and prevent finrot if he doesn't already have it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I agree with Phloxface. Angel needs to have a lot of clean water with a little medication and temperatures of 80 to 82 degrees, no cooler.

With just going through a water issue, Bettas can get fin rot very easily. AND while a lot of fish can be treated for fin rot or the prevention of it with torn fins without the use of medication Bettas are not some that can be handled that way. You see, the fins are just too large and numerous for them to be handled with only water changes. Once that fin tissue is damaged, it is very hard to get a good heal on it without some type of help.

Please let us know how Angel is doing and keep us informed of her progress.

Rose

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
I agree with what has been said so far. The thing is bettas get finrot in a different way from the average fish where there is an obvious raggedyness at the end of a fin or something. That's how Rusty's finrot got started, was just a little hole.

Silverliningq

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm new but thought I would add my newbie experience with my little buddy Zulu (pic attached). But make up your own mind as I said I'm a newbie :

He ripped his tail fin a couple of times but I put less weed in and changed to a type that was abit softer and it just healed up and his hasn't had anymore problems. Zulu is very active always swimming around and I guess he got abit to fiery! He is abit of a grump - pulls faces at me all the time

I didn't even think that it could be fin rot - glad it wasn't though as I didn't treat him with anything.

Silver

whoa that pic posted BIG! ;D

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
LOL Yes, that picture is pretty large.  Makes it look like you have a giant Betta!  Welcome to the forum Silver and Zulu.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A very handsome betta and so LARGE ;D. Never mind that we understand and are proud of him too.

Zulu, you are absolutely a stunner. Thank you for letting us admire you.

Rose

gammerus

Well Known
Reaction score
sharp objects are deffinetly something to look out for. I have had enough paper cuts to know sharp things hurt. :'(

Silverliningq

Reaction score
Thanks guys - Zulu has unfortunately now got a head swell and I had to get him a bigger tank! ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great!! I am sure that Zulu loves it and you for supplying it. He is truly handsome.

Rose

New Threads