Question Fins Look Weird

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 2 weeks, but used all established media from a 20 gallon that's been up since november
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 73 to 75
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 3 albino cory catfish, 2 green cory catfish, 5 neon tetras, 1 honey gourami, 1 nerite snail, 1 giant ramshorn

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every friday
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I did a fish in cycle for the 20 gallon and added the fish into the 55 immediately
What do you use to test the water? apI master kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: idk

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once in the morning, fasting on sundays
How much do you feed your fish? 5 sinking pellets (1 per cory), a pinch of pellets or flakes for the gouramI and neons, a slice of squash for the snails
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Frozen blood worms, omega one FD brine shrimp, aqueon tropical flakes, hikarI micropellet, apI bottom feeder pellets, wardley shrimp pellets for bottom feeders
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? both

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 to 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Just now
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? weirdness on fins
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? just the find looking frayed

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

Just noticed some fraying or murkiness on just my albino Cory's fins. The greens seem fine but all 3 of my Cory's have a weirdness to their back and tail fin. Cant describe is well but I have photos. Some look bitten but others look like they're smudged?
20190619_153533.jpg
20190619_154852.jpg
20190619_161416.jpg

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
looks kinda like nipping.
Yeah one looks like nipping, though I've never had issues with nipping before. The other two look almost like they're thinning and melty, if that makes sense. I suppose I'll keep an eye on it, since it's only on the albinos and not the greens

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if the fins are melting, then probably fin rot. do more frequent water changes, and vacuum. clean water helps prevent sickness. you may want to set up a QT and do daily water changes to see if it helps. if not some mild treatments like pimafix and melafix.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
if the fins are melting, then probably fin rot. do more frequent water changes, and vacuum. clean water helps prevent sickness. you may want to set up a QT and do daily water changes to see if it helps. if not some mild treatments like pimafix and melafix.
If it progresses I'll set them up in my qt tank. Waters been perfect since going in the 55 gallon but I don't see any fish nipping.
Granted the neons or the honey could be doing it after I go to bed so I'll keep a close eye

New Threads