Fins Look Weird Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Zai, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Zai

ZaiWell Known MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 2 weeks, but used all established media from a 20 gallon that's been up since november
    Does it have a filter? yes
    Does it have heater? yes
    What is the water temperature? 73 to 75
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? 3 albino cory catfish, 2 green cory catfish, 5 neon tetras, 1 honey gourami, 1 nerite snail, 1 giant ramshorn

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? every friday
    How much of the water do you change? 50%
    What do you use to treat your water? prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I did a fish in cycle for the 20 gallon and added the fish into the 55 immediately
    What do you use to test the water? api master kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10
    pH: idk

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? once in the morning, fasting on sundays
    How much do you feed your fish? 5 sinking pellets (1 per cory), a pinch of pellets or flakes for the gourami and neons, a slice of squash for the snails
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Frozen blood worms, omega one FD brine shrimp, aqueon tropical flakes, hikari micropellet, api bottom feeder pellets, wardley shrimp pellets for bottom feeders
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? both

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 1 to 2 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Just now
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? weirdness on fins
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? just the find looking frayed

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

Just noticed some fraying or murkiness on just my albino Cory's fins. The greens seem fine but all 3 of my Cory's have a weirdness to their back and tail fin. Cant describe is well but I have photos. Some look bitten but others look like they're smudged?
    20190619_153533.jpg20190619_154852.jpg20190619_161416.jpg

2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

looks kinda like nipping.

3. OP
    OP
    Zai

Yeah one looks like nipping, though I've never had issues with nipping before. The other two look almost like they're thinning and melty, if that makes sense. I suppose I'll keep an eye on it, since it's only on the albinos and not the greens

4. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

if the fins are melting, then probably fin rot. do more frequent water changes, and vacuum. clean water helps prevent sickness. you may want to set up a QT and do daily water changes to see if it helps. if not some mild treatments like pimafix and melafix.

5. OP
    OP
    Zai

If it progresses I'll set them up in my qt tank. Waters been perfect since going in the 55gallon but I dont see any fish nipping.
    Granted the neons or the honey could be doing it after I go to bed so I'll keep a close eye