Fins Help Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lagertha, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Lagertha

LagerthaValued MemberMember

My Bettas fins are getting worse by the day. I really don’t know what to do for him.

He’s got a filter, cycled tank, heater at 27c, 2.5 gallon, he eats well, swims, very active, interested in everything but since he ripped up his tail either on the impeller (now covered with a net) or he chewed it, it’s getting worse.

It did look a bit better and began to heal but today now again it’s looking dreadful. I’ve also noticed today he’s hanging out on his moss ball which is new behaviour.

I can’t believe this is fin rot as this morning his fins didn’t look this bad and I can’t believe it spreads that fast in the course of a few hours.

I’ll put some pictures in from Monday to now:

Monday: IMG_6682.JPG

Today: IMG_6701.JPG

I’m going to get him some almond leaves to see if that helps.

2. Willed

WilledValued MemberMember

3. Odin

OdinValued MemberMember

Hi
    Stress may be causing him to rip out his fins from maybe too fast-a water flow or maybe water quality. Also sometimes their own reflections stress them out to the point of tearing out their own fins.

4. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

Yes. 30% every day though I don’t know why that would stop him ripping at himself. If that even is the cause.

To be honest I’m going to stop doing them, it’s causing him more stress.

It’s a buffered filter so it’s really low flow, the water quality should be good considering I’m doing 30% water changes every day plus his tank is cycled and he’s the only fish in it.

He can’t see his reflection as far as I know and he NEVER flares.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  5. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

I have heard that sometimes a betta will nip his own find to trim it to make it easier to swim.. I have no idea if that's why he'd doing or not!!! Just a thought!!

6. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

I initially thought he’d caught it on the filter intake so I placed a net over it and removed rough stuff from the tank, replaced it with soft decoration and plants and it seemed to be getting better.

I’ve kept a close watch on him and this morning he was fine, came into my bedroom to feed him and it looks like the bottom picture on my first post.

It’s incredibly upsetting.

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I may be clutching at straws here but Are all those bubbles his bubble nest or is something else causing them? If it isn't his bubble nest I am wondering if he sees them and thinks there has to be another male somewhere building it and it is stressing him out enough for him to attack his own fins.

8. phenris

phenrisValued MemberMember

Hm. That first picture almost makes it look like his fins are hanging off his body - like at the dorsal, you can see shadows behind some of it. I’m not explaining this well but it doesn’t appear in the other picture so maybe I’m blind lol.

You could try aquarium salt. If you don’t know how to treat with that I can give some pointers.

9. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I agree with you about stopping the daily water changes. Daily water changes aren't needed if this tank is cycled. It seems he is stressed enough without adding more to his stress level. This looks more like fin nipping than fin rot.

10. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

That’s his own bubble nest.

His top fin is actually ok, it’s his tail on the ends that’s the problem.

I’ve been told to 100% stay away from that as it can cause more harm than good especially if it’s not fin rot which I’m 99% sure it’s not.

I agree.

I have no idea what’s stressing him out though.

I’m thinking of upgrading him to a bigger tank, but it needs to be no more than 20 litres as that’s all I have room for.

I was thinking of the Fluval Chi. Anyone had any experience with it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice