Fins Bitten Off Or Disease?

Astrochelys

Reaction score
Hi,
First time poster but long time lurker! I'm a bit concerned about something and thought perhaps somebody here could provide their opinion.
I've had this 75g planted tank for about 5 years, with the fish in it between 1-3 years old (8 rainbowfish from various species, 6 congo tetras, a small group of harlequin rasboras, a bigger group of rummynoses (12), 5 bronze cories, 1 blue ram and 1 bolivian ram, one large 5 year old farlowella that doesn't ever move, and a standard cleaning crew (large amanos, 3 flying foxes, a few otos). There are also a few small fish from previous communities in this tank (2 hatchetfish, a few ember tetras, and 3 black phantom tetras). That's the whole tank community, it's been exactly like this for about 8 months.

I've never noticed any aggression. Yesterday while feeding I noticed one of the 3 congo tetra females was in pretty bad shape, even though her behaviour was normal and she feeds normally. Her dorsal fin is completely gone, so are most of her pelvic fins and a tail is all torn.

Do you think this is a disease (e.g. fin rot?) or do you think this is due to aggression (I wouldn't know who to blame). I haven't had any disease outbreaks in probably 3 years when I had ich after an ill-advised purchase. Water temperature is 80. Can't detect nitrates with the API kits. CO2 injection at 30 ppm with electronic pH probe (pH=6.8). Any advice?
Many thanks!!

Here are the pictures. The links to the media gallery don't seem to work, sorry newbie here...

Attachments

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say its normal fin decay that happens to fish from lack of blood supply to the cartiladge of the fins. It happens in nature, its normal
Take the fish out and give it a methylene blue bath for a day
Raise the temperature to 84, and dose 5ml of M blue per ten gallons
Airstone heater and light only, no food.
It should seal up the decay, but you dont really have too..... i dont see it getting much worse
You could also use melafix/primafix combo at 1//2 strength each, or acriflavine
Hospital tank only please, your display tank looks so clean and clear

Your tank looks healthy, and pretty i like it.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking at just the tail I could have guessed either way. I would have leaned towards fin nippers even with pectoral fins with chunks missing, but I have never seen a dorsal fin completely eaten off like that so...I would have to go with fin rot. I would quarantine the fish immediately and start treatment. Maracin works good but there are a few treatments available to treat fin rot. I would do a 50 percent water change in your tank after that like a hawk. It is considered to be somewhat contagious. Make sure to vacuum the bottom well as you are siphoning out the old water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom