Fin's Betta Breeding Journal - Page 2

Mcasella

Well, I've given it all day for any possible babies to show up and he ate them all
Oh no, bad dad. I had issues luring dad away from the babies when I took him out, he kept hovering under them (they were swimming/floating along the surface because his bubble nesting kinda sucks). I hope he does better the second time around. What are your plans for spawning again..rather how long do they need to recover before spawning again?

CROWNTAILBETTA

I'm really sorry.

melissafleites

Sorry to hear that

Flowingfins

I'm really sorry.

Sorry to hear that
Thanks guys:/
Oh no, bad dad. I had issues luring dad away from the babies when I took him out, he kept hovering under them (they were swimming/floating along the surface because his bubble nesting kinda sucks). I hope he does better the second time around. What are your plans for spawning again..rather how long do they need to recover before spawning again?

I'm going to give this pair another two weeks to recondition, and we'll go from there. The gold pair is confusing me though. I've had the female floating in the spawn tank for going on three days now. She's verging on being eggbound or I would've taken her out by now. She shows interest in the male, flaring, trying to get out of the jar, but as soon as I let her out she goes and hides in the corner.

Mcasella

Thanks guys:/

I'm going to give this pair another two weeks to recondition, and we'll go from there. The gold pair is confusing me though. I've had the female floating in the spawn tank for going on three days now. She's verging on being eggbound or I would've taken her out by now. She shows interest in the male, flaring, trying to get out of the jar, but as soon as I let her out she goes and hides in the corner.
Maybe put a slow drip over the container she is in that way it sinks slowly and she has the chance to get used to being in the open with him? (Though then you would have to take the container out...)

Flowingfins

It's pretty much on the bottom right now, there's about an inch of space above it before it hits the clingwrap and the male needs space for the bubblenest.

Mcasella

Switch them into the ten?? I don't know if that would actually help if she is being a turd though..

DioAquatics

Sorry to hear about the copper babies

GoldieBubbles

Maybe the copper make is just confused with being the first time he has had babies. It's not like betta dads explain how to make babies with their kids so it's based solely off of instincts. (Now I am picturing bettas having "the talk" with their fry)

Flowingfins

Hopefully that's the case! I just divided the 10 for them, I figured I could just condition them like that haha. I came home to this today!

b707344e6d6419f2ab3919bc5c8ccef7.jpg
The gold tank was divided as well

963b8cd592a6c4ba560a6f996142b781.jpg

Bruxes and Bubbles

Can you ask your males to teach mine a thing or two about bubble nesting?

That is one huge nest!

TTime

Wishing you luck! I hope he does well this time. FWIW I bred ball pythons for awhile. A handful of times the females wouldn't wrap/secure the eggs if it was the first time breeding. However, they did wrap them the next go around.

Flowingfins

Wishing you luck! I hope he does well this time. FWIW I bred ball pythons for awhile. A handful of times the females wouldn't wrap/secure the eggs if it was the first time breeding. However, they did wrap them the next go around.

Yeah, it's not uncommon for them to mess it up the first time. It's just kind of dissapointing.

Flowingfins

Well, a lot of you are going to be pretty disappointed.
I've decided that the gold male is way too aggressive to be bred with the gold girl, and I won't be attempting to breed them again. It's a shame he's so rough with her, both have near perfect form. I don't feel comfortable having them together anymore. She's become lethargic, is missing a bunch of scales, and her fins are shredded. CindiL, should I be doing anything to make sure it doesn't get infected? I've never had a male nip scales off of the female before.

8cd0a163d4425048da0f238843c4ec28.jpg

69a8c69c04e85865d9919adc736abd43.jpg

b0f4823cc47be33c9723394b281925be.jpg

7e656e660ff2141c8dea0a6c9325c726.jpg

05091ab02791c3d7554bdc1962ee3336.jpg
That last picture is before she got beat up. The male doesn't even have a nipped fin.
I will be looking for either an aggressive female or less aggressive male of the same coloration. I'll keep you guys posted if I find one.

The copper pair is coming along well! The female is eggy and has breeding bars again, and Miles has been busy.

3c6e012eeee07789549e518f1769939f.jpg
I might be able to breed them sooner than I thought. It'll be a week since they spawned on Monday.

Attachments

• 8cd0a163d4425048da0f238843c4ec28.jpg
    8cd0a163d4425048da0f238843c4ec28.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 69a8c69c04e85865d9919adc736abd43.jpg
    69a8c69c04e85865d9919adc736abd43.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 54
  • b0f4823cc47be33c9723394b281925be.jpg
    b0f4823cc47be33c9723394b281925be.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 7e656e660ff2141c8dea0a6c9325c726.jpg
    7e656e660ff2141c8dea0a6c9325c726.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 05091ab02791c3d7554bdc1962ee3336.jpg
    05091ab02791c3d7554bdc1962ee3336.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 3c6e012eeee07789549e518f1769939f.jpg
    3c6e012eeee07789549e518f1769939f.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 56

Mcasella

Ouch, he really has torn her up hasn't he - I would suggest methelyne blue dips to prevent infection, once a day around 15 minutes should work. Clean water otherwise.

The coppers seem to get along better than other colors?

Flowingfins

Yeah:/ I feel bad for her. I shouldn't have left her in so long, I was just worried about her becoming eggbound.
Where would I find methylene blue? Is it found in any common medications? I have betta revive, kanaplex, and tetracycline on hand. I'll do daily 25% water changes to keep the water clean, more if you think it's necessary. I'm moving her to a 10 gallon tomorrow.

Have you noticed that the coppers get along better? This pair is the only copper pair I've tried to spawn. I know that reds tend to be on the aggressive side, so I guess color could play a role.

Mcasella

I got mine at my LPS, I still have it so it will last you a while. Betta revive has some meth blue in it, so that could potentially work (plus you can leave it in as long as she isn't in a tank tank). That amount should be fine, 10-15% likely would be okay as well as long as she isn't in with any heavy bioloaders like plecos lol (more specifically baby plecos that eat more than should be possible). I believe fasting can help them reabsorb their eggs (as they go into survival mode, unlike what plants do when stressed...). The meth blue should be slightly more common than other meds like kanaplex, which I had to order online.

Mine didn't have any damage to either of them besides the male's over flaring that cause two very tiny tears that had healed when I removed him from his children (I think he wasn't actually eating anyone but I think the deaths were caused by him moving them around too much, which I read can happen when dad is trying to move so many).

Flowingfins

I found it at Walmart of all places!
Here's hoping mine carries it..
She's just going to be by herself, possibly with the other female (divided of course) in a couple days when I spawn the coppers.

My copper girl had minor fin damage, it's healed itself already. I wonder if coppers are less likely to seriously hurt each other while spawning.

Mcasella

I wonder if it is a dragon scale trait to be more aggressive? Hopefully it does, I know mine doesn't.

CindiL

Hi, awww the poor girl, those bitten off scale areas look really sore.
Betta Revive is all you need because it has the meth blue, the malachite green and also neomycin which will be helpful for her scale loss. You can either do double dose baths in a 1/2g for 30-60minutes a day or use a smaller tank and go full strength. Just don't use a cycled filter as the BB will be killed off by the meth blue in it. A whole bottle of revive is only good for 5 gallon which is why its better in a 2.5g tank.

If you treat her outside her 10 gallon tank for an hour, use 8 drops for a 1/2g. If you treat her in a regular small tank, then 8 drops per gallon. You don't dose it daily, only with water changes.

Flowingfins

Hi, awww the poor girl, those bitten off scale areas look really sore.
Betta Revive is all you need because it has the meth blue, the malachite green and also neomycin which will be helpful for her scale loss. You can either do double dose baths in a 1/2g for 30-60minutes a day or use a smaller tank and go full strength. Just don't use a cycled filter as the BB will be killed off by the meth blue in it. A whole bottle of revive is only good for 5 gallon which is why its better in a 2.5g tank.

If you treat her outside her 10 gallon tank for an hour, use 8 drops for a 1/2g. If you treat her in a regular small tank, then 8 drops per gallon. You don't dose it daily, only with water changes.

Thank you! I'll use the betta revive then, it saves me a trip to Walmart.

BonBon

I'm subscribing because I really want to see some babies! I've always wished I could breed Bettas but I just don't have the space or time...

Flowingfins

I'm subscribing because I really want to see some babies! I've always wished I could breed Bettas but I just don't have the space or time...

Thanks for following along!

I might have found a male to breed the gold female with! He ships out tomorrow!

I think I'm going to spawn the copper pair this weekend, I haven't decided for sure yet.

GoldieBubbles

Yay!

BonBon

Oooohhh, I'm excited

bubblegum-heart

Subscribing to see some adorable little betta babies! I hope you're successful in getting your bettas to breed!

Flowingfins

Guess who's here! He arrived Monday, but I've been a bit behind so I didn't take pictures.

25ae5dd2d82761f84380e45444e4d929.jpg

80a6a39295694469fc589fc9384bd759.jpg

cf7252feec77640f0bc633c885b73525.jpg

DioAquatics

He's a nice looking guy!

bubblegum-heart

He's pretty! I LOVE his fins!

Mcasella

How is the gold girl doing? Is she healing okay?
He looks a little confident in those pictures, hopefully he will be good for you.

Flowingfins

The gold girl is healing, but slowly. She's become way more active and her scales/fins are beginning to grow back. Hopefully the new boy won't be too rough with her.

Both of the new boys are doing really well! I haven't had any problems getting them to eat, and the red platinum hasn't had much trouble getting around. They're in a divided 10 filled a little less than half way, and I will be slowly increasing the water level to 6-7 inches. I wanted to give him a chance to get used to swimming again before he was in a "deep" tank. The gold boy will probably be staying in the 10, but the red platinum is getting a custom tank.

cedbefc9d658be5a8f3e06a9732b3886.jpg
He's surprisingly hard to photograph for a disabled fish!

Zerologist

I regret I only discovered this thread now, but I'll be subscribing for the updates. How is it going?

Flowingfins

The fish are doing well, but I'm going to have to put off spawning for a little bit. Finals are coming up and I need to focus on that before babies, so grades are the priority right now.
I'll keep updating with pictures and such! I should be able to spawn near the end of school/start of summer so I can give them full attention.

BonBon

Okay! That's fine, better to be responsible than rush it.

Sprogladite

Good luck for your finals!

Zerologist

The fish are doing well, but I'm going to have to put off spawning for a little bit. Finals are coming up and I need to focus on that before babies, so grades are the priority right now.
I'll keep updating with pictures and such! I should be able to spawn near the end of school/start of summer so I can give them full attention.

Good luck for your finals! Happy studying?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies