Fin's Betta Barracks

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Disclaimer: I am a breeder, that means I cannot house 500 male bettas in their own heated and filtered 5 gallon tank. Barracks are the best way to TEMPORARILY house many bettas at once.

Now that that's out of the way, I need a barrack system.
I want it to be filtered, heated, and house around 100-200 fish, each in 1/2 a gallon to 1 gallon of water, and be relatively cheap to build.

I was thinking of having them on a drip system, filtered by a sump with a couple heaters as well as a UV sterilizer.

Basically, this would be a large rack system, maybe 5-8 shelves, each holding between 15 and 20 jars. There would be a large tub at the top of the system(15-20 gallons) that would have a pipe coming out of it going down the side of the system, at the top of each shelf, there would be a T pipe attached to a long pipe with holes drilled. These holes would have airline tubing leading into the jars. The jars would have a hole in the bottom with airline tubing leading into a "gutter"(pipe with holes) that flows into another pipe into the sump, so each fish gets clean water. The sump would be another tub, filled with lots of media, the heaters, and UV sterilizer, and that had a pump/pipe leading to the top tub.

Here's some stuff I was looking at/

150 feet of airline tubing?

Maybe these?

These?

These are ok. At least clear.
http://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-18075/Jars/Clear-Plastic-PET-Round-Wide-Mouth-Jars-32-oz?pricode=WZ495&gadtype=pla&id=S-18075&gclid=CK3ejYuDuMwCFQFahgodBssPbA&gclsrc=aw.ds
I like these a lot!

Is this too much GPH?

How would you guys build the shelves?
Does this sound like it would work?
Here is my "bedroom"(AKA room full of fish with a mattress in the corner). I'm totally fine with moving stuff around, as long as nothing blocks the window(the hose is 5 feet away, thats how I do water changes), door, or closet.
Where would you guys put it?
What is a cheap but good UV sterilizer?
Sorry for the long post, any questions, comments or concerns?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bump
My dad might know where to cheap plexiglass! So excited!!

cooneyms

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Subscribing to watch! I wish I could help, but I'm just here to gawk lol

Sent from my SM-J320P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Definetly following this thread. It sounds like a really good idea, cant wait to see what this turns out like

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dad said that he could do a digital drawing of it once I give him plans! Almost done planning, I should be able to house over 200 bettas!

ajint boo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What will be the total water volumn of your barracks? This is a fascinating idea! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably around 200-300gallons. I'll have 204 jars, each holds .62 gallons, and the sump and a tub at the top will hold water as well. I haven't worked the whole thing out yet

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, my dad's teaching me how to use Solid Works which is like a 3D drawing thing. I can make plans on it and it is SO COOL!
My barracks won't be ready for a while, due to the combination of getting materials, getting money to buy the materials, and having the time to set it up. Breeding bettas doesn't seem like it costs much, but the jars, the jars are what drive up the cost

Dad's helping me work out all the kinks, and the plan has changed some. I knocked off a jar from each shelf, allowing some wiggle room for plumbing. I also had to make it so there are 3 different tank on each level since 12 foot acrylic isn't a thing... I'm going with the .25 inch thickness.
Since my dads company works with water and air purification stuff he can build me a UV sterilizer, get his guys to cut my acrylic and weld the stand. All I have to do is put it together He estimated it'll cost quite a few hundred dollars since the acrylic is so expensive, but I'm crossing my fingers that eventually(not anytime soon) It'll pay for itself.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are a lot of ways to build a barracks system, and the one thing I might suggest is to use plastic containers of an appropriate size and shape, as these would be much cheaper than glass jars/bowls of equal size. Plastic is also easy to modify for overflows, and most of these come with lids.

ajint boo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are lucky to have such cool Dad to help you with this project. He deserves an extra special Father's Day gift!

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My problem with the jars is that they would be hard to fit an overflow onto, and I can't find any the right size. I like my idea right now.
Lol, I should set up a tank for him(doing the maintenance myself of course).

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not really. I'm still drawing it up and I have to wait until I can sell all my goldfish fry so I can afford to build it.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No problem, I am too. A whole wall of fish is going to be so cool...

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update: project is on hold until I get money and buy light fixtures and filters for my current tanks. My sponge filters got put on back order so I'll be waiting that out as well. They were 99 cents each for the double sponge kind. I'm cheap and don't want to have to find another deal lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom