Fins being nipped help

1. dandy123 Initiate Member

Hi forum,
    I have a question in relation to fins being nipped. I got 1 siamese fighting fish and 2 flying fox and also 1 knife fish on Thursday. Also in the tank I have a bala shark, neon tetaras, silver dollars, blue gourmais and a honey gourmai and mollies. I woke up yesterday morning to find my honey gourmai dead with half his fin torn, and now one of my flying fox is missing half his fin and t b looks a bit scratched and also my silver dollar fin is missing. I cant seem to see simese attacking them and knife fish only comes out at night so im told, is it possible simese is attacking and earlier I seen 2 flying foxes chasing each other so would one have nipped the other? I was told in shop they would all be ok and this would not happen, what can I do to solve this please? as I dont want to give any of the fish away. tks dandy123

2. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I know that siamese fighting fish (bettas) are solitary fish and need their own tanks. They do not do well in community tanks and will nip at other fish and possibly kill them. I'm sure others will chime in and give you advice about the other fish you have and their compatibility.

3. dandy123 Initiate Member

Ok thanks for your help I ased all this in the shop and they said I would be ok as I only have 1. Will the fins grow back? dandy123

4. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

The fins will grow back but you need to get the Betta out of the tank as they are definitely not a community fish bearing in mind the fish's name, fighting fish. you could put it in another tank or take it back and get a refund.

What size of tank is this?

It seems like you have many fish in there that like to be in schools and should be in large tanks, such as the Silver dollar and the Bala Shark

5. dandy123 Initiate Member

Hi tks its a 135 litre tank, all the fish were fine before this I will have to bring it back I dont have a spare tank the reason why I got him as I was told he will be fine on his own and that they only fight with their own kind.

6. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

So i work that out as a 35 Gallon tank which i do not think is going to be big enough for the Bala shark, although i do not know a huge amount about them. the silver dollar would LOVE to be with 5/6 of his buddies and they would grow to be too big for a 35G tank.

The Betta is definitely not a community fish and should probably be taken back if you do not have another tank. I know nothing about the flying fox so will leave that up to someone else to talk about.

One thing to remember about a fish store is that they want to make sales, it is unfortunately much harder to find a store that will give you good honest information than you may think.

There are many more experienced fish keeper on here so i would wait for them to weigh in as well, but in the mean time you should take the Betta back.

Sorry to bear bad news.

7. dandy123 Initiate Member

the bala is not that big at the moment and i was told they don't grow much in community tanks, but ur right about shops thanks again dandy123

8. dandy123 Initiate Member

Hi forum, just to let you know I returned the betta yesterday and they were surprised it was him attacking as I was told normally its him who gets attacked if he is by himself, so hopefully the others will be ok as I was told it could be knifefish that could be doin it. by the way how long does it take the fins to grow back?? thanks dandy123

9. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I have a betta whose fins were shredded when I rescued her a week or so ago and I'm now seeing some significant regrowth on her fins. (the regrowth is clear right now). Just keep the water pristine! I added some vitachem to the betta's food and also used some fish protector for the water, but really just good clean water should do it.

10. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

I think we are talking about the other fish instead of the betta but keep that water PRISTINE with 50% changes at least once a week, add some garlic to the food and maybe some Novaqua + to the water and you will see growth in a very short time, as illustrated by previous poster.

One of the reasons why they say that some fish will not grow to their full size in certain tank setups is that they will stunt their growth to take into account their living situation. This is not the healthiest for the fish so unless you plan on a tank upgrade it would probably be worth taking that one back also.

Good work taking the Betta back, tough lessons when we start out but most of us learned the same way.

11. dandy123 Initiate Member

Hi Forum, Thanks will keep the water clear I have a uv sanatizer to tks again dandy123

12. cameronpalte Member Member

Please do not trust what these shops tell you. Often times they don't have nearly enough experience in this area:).

13. cameronpalte Member Member

You should not have all these fish in a 55g tank, and sadly you were misinformed by the pet store.

Your betta should immediately be removed. Your bala shark and silver dollars both like to be with there buddies and will get to large for the tank.

It does not sound like you've cycled your tank so I would return ALL the fish, cycle and get them back. Best of luck!