Fins are torn

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi forum,

I think my Betta is suffering from finrot. I have been having this guy since last October. He was looking fine until last week, when I netted him for some reason.

From that day onwards, he has been losing his dorsal / tail fins. Now, he has lost almost 70-75% of his tail fins.

But he acts normal and eats normal.

Could it be finrot? or is it normal for Bettas to shred fins and grow them back?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
scroll down a little, is it that.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No it is not normal for them to shed fins for any reason other than disease. I would begin to treat him with a broad spectrum antibiotic that is good for both gram negative and gram positive bacterial infections and keep him in scrupulously clean water and do frequent water changes. He can take months to regenerate the fins and will need careful treatment until then. Do not whatever you do let anyone talk you into using Melafix or Pimafix on him. This betta community just recently lost two fish to those medications. They are no longer approved for any of the Labyrinth organ fishes. I personally will not use Pimafix on any fish with its ingredient of Clove Oil being used to euthanize fish.

Please do let us know what his condition is and keep us informed on the progress. Thank you for letting us know.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do not be fooled by your Betta's behavior. Many fish have gone through finrot without once batting an eye, let alone acting sick. If that much of his caudal fin is gone his finrot is really severe so you need to start treating immediately. Right before you start treating do a large water change to make sure he's got optimum water conditions.

It is quite possible when you netted him the net nicked his tail and that coupled with the stress of moving left him suseptible to finrot. Let us know how he is doing.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that your Betta has fins that are torn. He definately needs to be medicated. My Barney had fin rot from getting his fins nipped by some danios. He was in pretty bad shape but is fine now, thanks to the fact that I followed the directions of these expert fish lovers. I hope your betta gets well soon. Keep us posted.

CherryRose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
lokky.funky

We haven't heard from you since you posted about your Betta. How is he?? Were you able to start him on the medication suggested?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom