Finrot Question

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been advised by Rose that my smallest cory's lower caudal fin damage might be finrot. I recently had cleaned my tank and thought my water was good, but I'm raising the temperature in my tank. (that could be the problem; till recently it was quite warm and I had not wanted the fish to overheat but it suddenly dropped in temperature here and the tank is now considerably cooler. I've adjusted the temp just before writing this)

However I have a few questions.
1. I've got a little quarantine tank which I can put the cory in. Should I do so and observe him for a bit, and also medicate him for finrot?

2. What medecines (if I do medicate him) are best for that? I have mardel and fungus clear tablets.

3. should I provide medicine to the other fish or just see what a water change and the temperature change does?

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just noticed it today. I'm thinking that while I haven't really examined the corys as much as the betta (they don't really stay still enough when they're not sleeping) I was a bit startled to see he has only half of his caudal fin. I don't think it was bitten...but I'm not sure. Rusty sometimes charges at the corys when they're feeding and it's hard to see what happens in the swirl of activity.

friend_o_fish

Reaction score
something you can do to prevent rusty charging is feed them 30 minutes after lights out because they are nocturnal. Also I would treat the whole tank just in case the others have it and are just not showing external symptoms and use half dose because Corie's are armored fish and you have to use half dose for scaleless and armored fish.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Please do not panic if they seem a little groggy when they are medicated as well. Cories and Catfish do tend to get a little dopey when the receive medication but it is normal. It will clear up when they are past the medication stage.

If you have those two medications to choose from then I would use the Maracyn as you are not sure if it is a bacterial or Fungal infection or an injury and that will cover all three.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom