Finrot, Popeye, who knows what else

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Darn it I am getting reeeeally fed up with stupid finrot!! > Ok so one of my Cories is showing the beginnings of finrot. I know how to deal with that but I just noticed that one of his eyes is popping out today. Also his head has whiter patches...idk if that's just his coloration or if it's some kind of fungal/bacterial infection. The poor guy's sitting on the bottom miserably with his fins clamped although as of yesterday he's eating. So basically what I need to know is how on earth to treat popeye...and also, if they require different medications, am I right to assume the popeye should be treated before the finrot? Thanks up front.

The poor little guy. He must have been sick when I get him. Actually I am pretty sure he was. But he was in a tank full of tiny Cories, so how can you pick out one with the beginnings of finrot, let alone ask for specific ones you want? Ugh it's so frustrating. I don't think the diseases will ever end. I've already got fish TB for pete's sake in my 10 gallon.

Sorry about the complaining. Thanks in advance for any help.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, since someone's probably gonna ask
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-between 10 and 20, closer to 20
Will be doing water change today or tomorrow. Got the fish last Monday I believe.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here is what I found on Popeye:

It can be caused by Eye Flukes, Systemic Bacterial Infections, Virus Infections, Systemic Fungal Infections, Vitamin deficiency, Any dysfunction in the physiological processes of the fis. They say that technically it is a symptom of one of these conditions and not a disease on its own.

Treatment is to identify the cause and if there is no sign of infection (bacterial, viral, or fungal) then the water quality has to be looked into. The books all seem to agree that daily water changes need to be done for a period of 2 to 3 days to improve the water quality even if the parameters fall withing the normal or healthy levels. It says that recovery signs may take a week or more to show up. According to the information i was able to find the water changes alone may take care of the problem. If however he is having signs of any other type of infection, then you must treat the infection and that should take care of the "pop eye" as well. The one thing Everyone was in agreement on was the fact that time is of the essence. You need to start to treat the condition as soon as you find it so that the eye is not lost.

Please keep us informed of his progress.

Rose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Now I realize that with all the disease that is going on it does tend to be a little downing and depressing.  I just thought perhaps the little fishies could use some cheering so here goes - turn on your speakers, I think.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=ZE44353487

I just wanted them to know we care.    I do hope they Get Well Soon.

Rose

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
That was sooooo cute ;D ;D

Good Idea Rose.. Need to cheer up the fishies too.. 8)

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Rose. That is so cute!!

I think I will go ahead and treat it as bacterial since he's got finrot also, and the skin around the eyes is turning whitish which I am guessing would also be due to bacteria.
After the water change yesterday the Nitrates were down to 10. I will try to do daily water changes for the next few days to get the water even cleaner. Then I think I will treat for finrot, which I've noticed starting in a couple fish too, though not more than a small tear or two. For that reason I think I will go ahead and treat the whole tank. They won't slow down long enough to tell which fish are infected anyway. : I should probably cut down on the medication dosage, right?
Well, Littlecloud (the one with popeye) is sulking quite a bit today, but other than a nasty looking eye and fraying fins there doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with him. I am getting more concerned though because today he's not eating. The other Cories seem to have settled in nicely though, and it is so fun watching the tiny guys zipping around the tank!

Oh yeah...what in the world does "systemic" mean?

Almost forgot...how big should those daily water changes be? I am kind of only equiped to do 25% due to the size of my buckets and the fact that I have to haul all the new water down 2 flights of stairs o)...but if you guys think it is necesary I know how I can do a bigger water change...I had to do a huge one before getting the Cories, man was that "FUN"!

Well I'd better stop yakkin now, thanks for the help.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One question, is thw Jungle Fungus Clear safe to use with snails? I couldn't find any warnings on the box but i just want to make sure. It said that it also cures popeye, so hopefully if it doesn't go away on its own with extra water changes the Fungus Clear will take care of it.
I will go ahead and do a 25% water change today but if you guys think I should I will do a bigger water change tomorrow.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
:'( :'( :'( Littlecloud died. I was just going to give you a good report too--that the finrot wasn't getting worse and the popeye seemed to be going away. But then I looked in the tank an hour later and he was gone. :'( Somehow the shoal doesn't look complete without the smallest one trailing after them. :'( There must have been something else wrong with Littlecloud, like an internal infection.

I will do another water change today and then treat for finrot since I noticed another one with fairly bad finrot. They must have been sick when I bought them because my water has low nitrates and they get good food (Omega One). I can't believe I didn't notice when I bought them. Hopefully none of the others gets anything more than finrot. They all look perfectly healthy though (besides the fins) so hopefully I will have no further losses.
:'( :'(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom