Finrot or just splitting from weight?

vynish

Hey folks, I just wanted to get an opinion on my Halfmoon male. I can’t tell if he has fin rot or just his fins are splitting because they’re too long? I’ve been struggling with this for months almost and I’m getting rather frustrated. Not too sure how to fix it.

Tank Perameters:
5 Gallon @ 80°f
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0

Currently has driftwood (sanded down any sharp edges), one silk plant, a live fern and some moss on the drift wood. I included a picture of his tank just in case someone cal see something wrong with it.

Attachments

• 2D4222AB-739D-4D47-A2AD-5B82E11C37CE.jpeg
    2D4222AB-739D-4D47-A2AD-5B82E11C37CE.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 9EAFADD5-743D-43BE-9933-AA777394BC40.jpeg
    9EAFADD5-743D-43BE-9933-AA777394BC40.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 29131DA4-CE91-4EF0-BFA5-CF4885380B75.jpeg
    29131DA4-CE91-4EF0-BFA5-CF4885380B75.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 17

Katie13

So fins don’t “split” when they get too long.that would leave either fin rot, tail biting, or something catching and ripping the fins. In this case, it’s definitely fin rot.

vynish

So fins don’t “split” when they get too long.that would leave either fin rot, tail biting, or something catching and ripping the fins. In this case, it’s definitely fin rot.
Okay - thank you for correcting me! How do I go about fixing this? I do weekly water changes for him atm already and I've seen some people suggest aquarium salts? But I've also seen some people say they're the worst things ever lol.

Axanna

Looks like fin rot to me I have had the same issues in the past with my half moon boy he had finrot when I got him and then he injured himself and got it again. The way I fixed his finrot was by doing frequent water changes like 25% ish every 3-4 days and also the first time he had finrot bad I used aquarium salt to get him better and it didn’t hurt him at all in fact it helped. I think I just followed the interruptions on the back of the API aquarium salt and it was all good. Goodluck with your little betta

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

What a pretty boy you have there! :)

I agree that frequent water changes are needed. I would do 25% every other day for a few weeks. If you do use aquarium salt, please do not use it for more than 2 weeks. Aquarium salt is only removed from your tank when you do water changes, so be mindful of how much water you replace vs. how much aquarium salt you use. You wouldn't want to over dose on aquarium salt, so if you re-dose after a water change, calculate the amount that you would need to add based on the amount of water you have changed. Its best to take some tank water and dissolve the salt in it, and then add that to your tank.

Those tannins in his water should help the healing process, too.

I hope he gets better soon!!!

vynish

Hi,

What a pretty boy you have there! :)

I agree that frequent water changes are needed. I would do 25% every other day for a few weeks. If you do use aquarium salt, please do not use it for more than 2 weeks. Aquarium salt is only removed from your tank when you do water changes, so be mindful of how much water you replace vs. how much aquarium salt you use. You wouldn't want to over dose on aquarium salt, so if you re-dose after a water change, calculate the amount that you would need to add based on the amount of water you have changed. Its best to take some tank water and dissolve the salt in it, and then add that to your tank.

Those tannins in his water should help the healing process, too.

I hope he gets better soon!!!
Thank you so much! I'm going to buy some Bettafix and see if that helps before going to the salts - I'm afraid of messing it up quite frankly. The way you worded this was super clear and I really, really appreciate that! :D

Rose of Sharon

I am more than happy to help!!!!

I would avoid bettafix, as it contains tea tree oil, which could interfere with your betta's labyrinth organ, which all bettas have. It is that which helps them breathe air (when they swim to the top of the tank).

I used it before I did research about betta products, and I found it to not really work that well. Bettas are so over bred and genetically weak, for the most part, so avoiding the use of a product that might cause some harm would be prudent.

vynish

I am more than happy to help!!!!

I would avoid bettafix, as it contains tea tree oil, which could interfere with your betta's labyrinth organ, which all bettas have. It is that which helps them breathe air (when they swim to the top of the tank).

I used it before I did research about betta products, and I found it to not really work that well. Bettas are so over bred and genetically weak, for the most part, so avoiding the use of a product that might cause some harm would be prudent.
Do you have any brands for aquarium salts you’d recommend? I was hoping to avoid them just because i’m a bit nervous but I noticed he had some red spotting on the edges of his fins today so I think I’m going to have to.

Thank you for correcting me about beta fix! I didn’t know that about the product or that betta’s even had that organ, kinda glad my amazon order got screwed up now lol!

Rose of Sharon

I invested in a few bottles of bettafix before I learned about the problems with using tea tree oil. I also bought melafix, which is the same thing, but stronger. So I threw all of that money away! Glad you were able to cancel that.

As for aquarium salt, I use Jungle brand, which I get from Wal-Mart. API also puts out aquarium salt. It is pretty cheap, and one bag goes a long way.

I don't know if you have any invertebrates, but they don't do well with salt. If you do have invertebrates, or are worried about plants, you might want to do an aquarium salt bath instead of adding it directly to your tank. You can use one teaspoon of aquarium salt to one gallon of water in a bath. You can actually use some tank water, dissolve the salt into the tank water in a separate container, and then add your betta. Take him out after about 10 minutes. If you see that he is really stressed, you can take him out and put him back into the main tank. You can give him daily baths, as long as he isn't too stressed.

I hope this helps!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
amandakr
  • Question
Replies
Views
surajk
Replies
Views
StevieBubbles