How long has the tank been running?
About a month

Does it have a filter?
Yes two. An Aquaclear 20 and 30

Does it have a heater?
No

What is the water temperature?
73.5 degrees Fahrenheit

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Dwarf Gourami x1
Panda Cory x5
Male Guppy x2
Amano Shrimp x3
Nerite Snail x2

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once a week

How much of the water do you change?
50%

What do you use to treat your water?
Prime

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the
water?
I do my best to swirl up debris from the sand, and suck it up with my water changer.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm I can’t get it any lower.
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm I can’t tell the difference between the two colors
pH: 7.6 with a high range of 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once in the morning, frozen blood worms and brine shrimp every other day, and a Shrimp wafer every other day.

How much do you feed your fish?
A small to medium pinch.

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Hikari micro pellets, Omega One flakes, Tetra Shrimp wafer, and San Francisco Bay blood worms and brine shrimp.

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
About half a year

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Two or three days ago

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Torn jagged looking fin, appears to be bloated a bit, Doesn’t come out immediately to eat like he use to , possibly breathing hard, and kinda lethargic. He usually stays in one corner of the aquarium.

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
I gave him an epsom salt dip in a gallon of treated fish water with 1 tsp of the epsom salt.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No unless you count the brush bristle that was stuck in his mouth because he was trying to eat it, after it fell off of Petco guys cleaning brush.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Aside from the tattered fin and a wonky, short, slightly bent feeler his color and scales look good. As for his appetite he use to immediately come out for food time, but now he just lurks in a back corner until it’s settled on the sand, and eats it off the ground. The lack of interest in food, and the bloating has been going on longer then the bad fin I think.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I noticed he was hiding a lot more about a month ago and only recently got a good look at the damaged fin, along with a possible bloat problem I’m having trouble getting under control.

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There is fin rot treatments out there but it looks more like he is being fin nipped and bullied. Usually fin rot displays as darker edges on the damaged fins but I do not see that. Seems like something else is going on. I’d keep him in a sick tank, bare bottom with two soft fake plants for feelings of security and see if that helps.

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 10 gal I can setup but it wouldn't be cycled. Should I use a product like Stability or Tetra Safe Start Plus, and just keep an eye on the ammonia?
You can use a piece of media from the old filter and few plants and soft rocks from the cycled tank and add it to the new tank. Take a siphon and take out 25% of the water from the cycled tank and put it into the 10g (adding a small bit of poo, small) This will almost make the 10g cycled. You can use safe start as well but most likely won’t have too if you use this method.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So you have just moved your gourami to the 20g long? You cycled the 20g long first or just transferred filters from the first tank?

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

elwe1996

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
he was added to the 20 long a month ago, and I transferred everything from the tank he use to be in. The sand, the water, all the ornaments and plants, and the Aquaclear 20 ( the 30 was added about a month ago).

As for my tap water I tested it last night and it read 0.50 ppm to 1.00 ppm. My boyfriend said 0.50 though I think it looked a bit closer to 1.00

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The ammonia should be processed by a week's time. It's possible your test solution is botched and testing 0ppm as 0.25ppm. There has been some faulty API ammonia tests lately where it is stuck at 0.25ppm.

I'm sorry, I don't notice the problems with him, I'm not that familiar with gouramis. His pectoral fins look a bit shredded, but it doesn't look like finrot to me.

I don't notice the bloating so much, but I think I'd fast him for a bit. Possibly include a veggie flake or pellet in your food rotation. Good brands are Omega One, NLS and NorthFin. Hikari typically has too much corn or fillers.

You don't want more than one of these fillers as ingredients
-soy
-potato starch
-wheat

Corn and pea is bad for the fish's digestive system longterm.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom